Allen Bradley primer please

kittydog42

So,

In case anybody knows...

Could you please explain to me, however briefly, the difference between the models listed below. What I am looking for is an idea of max I/O allowed, ease of use, and cost. Let's assume a design that has 24DI, 16DO, 8AI, and 4AO for the sake of standardization. I also would like to be able to communicate with modbus slaves as a master device, so built-in modbus is nice. Add-on cards for modbus may be acceptable too, if other functionality can be retained. I also need to know a little bit about what DeviceNet is, because one of the jobs we may bid for requires DeviceNet compatibility. The A-B distributor gave me the sales demonstration, but there is still a lot of question in my mind about which one to go with, since we will pretty much cast our lot with whatever we choose. If you feel long winded, maybe a similar primer related to A-B HMI's.

1. MicroLogix/SLC500 (RSView 500 software models)
2. CompactLogix/ControlLogix (RSView 5000 software models)

I think that is how the products lay out.

Thanks.

kittydog42 said:
So,

In case anybody knows...

Could you please explain to me, however briefly, the difference between the models listed below. What I am looking for is an idea of max I/O allowed, ease of use, and cost. Let's assume a design that has 24DI, 16DO, 8AI, and 4AO for the sake of standardization. I also would like to be able to communicate with modbus slaves as a master device, so built-in modbus is nice. Add-on cards for modbus may be acceptable too, if other functionality can be retained. I also need to know a little bit about what DeviceNet is, because one of the jobs we may bid for requires DeviceNet compatibility. The A-B distributor gave me the sales demonstration, but there is still a lot of question in my mind about which one to go with, since we will pretty much cast our lot with whatever we choose. If you feel long winded, maybe a similar primer related to A-B HMI's.

1. MicroLogix/SLC500 (RSView 500 software models)
2. CompactLogix/ControlLogix (RSView 5000 software models)

I think that is how the products lay out.

Thanks.

That seems to be a pretty big request. And Maybe Not!

I am not an expert on newer AB equipment.

It seems to be extreme over kill ControLogix.

It might tax out some of the MicroLogix. ML primarily being a small brick unit. Some bricks (aka micro's) such as GE's can do 64 I/O. AB has a couple of larger ones, I am thinking that I have seen at least 40 I/O with them. That catch would be the number of Analog I/O. You might be able to do it with smaller units, and add-on modules. I am not sure of the AB capabilities. GE, Moeller, and AD have add-ons that would work. I am pretty certain that you can get an Entertron to do this also.

It would be fine for SLC500. And also most rack style PLC's. For me, it would be a snap with GE 9030's, and the PAX series.

With the questions that you are asking, it sounds like you might need a local expert to help with this project. I would have thought that the AB distributor would have been more helpful. Since I specify and don't sign P.O.'s, I don't get a tremendous (READ "ANY") support locally. Maybe that is why I send a lot of business out of the area!!!

If no DeviceNet is required, you can do this with a MicroLogix 1200 40 I/O base unit (1762-L40AWAR or -L40BWAR), (2) 1762-IF4 analog input modules and (1) 1762-OF4 analog output modules. Channel 1 of the ML1200 can be configured for Modbus RTU Master. If DeviceNet is require, you will have to step up to the MicroLogix 1500, consisting of: (1) 1764-28BXB base, (1) 1764-LRP CPU, (1) 1769-SDN DeviceNet scanner module, (1) 1769-IQ16 input module, (1) 1769-OB8 output module, (1) 1769-IF8 analog input mod., (1) 1769-OF8C analog output mod., and (1) 1769-ECR terminating end cap. Of course, these configs may vary since we don't know discrete I/O voltage or output technology desired (solid-state or relay). Either of these work with RSLogix 500 programming software and would be less expensive than a SLC, typically.

My main decision is whether to go the MicroLogix/SLC500 route, or the CompactLogix/ControlLogix route, for the long run. We are not going to invest our time and money into learning or purchasing both platforms, since either line should do anything we would get involved with. I am just looking for actual opinions as to the differences between the two, with some emphasis on cost and convenience. The A-B rep did a decent job of explaining the differences, but it was not thoroughly objective, and they stressed CompactLogix/ControlLogix. My impression was that those might be more expensive and unnecessary for the scope of work I do, as outlined above.

If that's the base question you're asking, I would highly recommend the 5000 series. It's the latest-greatest that AB has to offer. The 500 is still a great series, but it's nearly 20 years old and all new development work will go into the 5000 series - thus giving it a much longer life-expectancy.

For this system, I can't imagine needing all of the horsepower afforded by the ControlLogix. The CompactLogix should be adequate. My only question about CompactLogix would be if it would support Modbus-Master...

for the long run. We are not going to invest our time and money into learning or purchasing both platforms,

If it were I, you ask?...go with 5000, someday 500 will not be supported besides here and mrplc

Look at CompactLogix, the last 2 jobs I quoted they were not much more then SLCs (one was cheaper, when I add the extras), I have many SLC platforms and will contiune to use them but I like many others are looking in the future and 5000 is the future (when you are talking AB)

Long run is easy, use logix, either compact or control. The SLC can do what you want etc but compact is (at least was) in the same price range. Even if slightly more and looking at long term then compact or control logix.

If it's enough to have the RTU Master functionality when the PLC is in Run mode, then you should have a look at the Sample programs for Rslgx5000.In this case there's no need for extra cards or things like this, the built in serial port is all you need.

If you haven't already started this; SLC500, & RSLogix5000 are very similar to program & set up. You can also get 32 point Input & Output modules to maximize I/O. You could pick up an entire used (with ?? the exception of the Modbus unit) on Ebay for well under $1000 to start with. If you like it, invest in a CompactLogix controller & slave the SLC500 from it. The new proc would allow expansion & flexibility with the latest AB Stuff.

My main decision is whether to go the MicroLogix/SLC500 route, or the CompactLogix/ControlLogix route, for the long run. We are not going to invest our time and money into learning or purchasing both platforms, since either line should do anything we would get involved with

I think you have answered your own query with the above highlighted statement.

It seems as though you want a platform that can meet the demands of jobs you have not yet seen, so if you went the MicroLogix/SLC route you could close future doors.

With that in mind I would opt for the Compact/ControlLogix series. Don't forget to include FlexLogix, DriveLogix, SoftLogix, and GuardLogix (SIL3 Safety) systems, all programmed using the one RSLogix5000 software, and all having the (essentially) same functions/features. They all use the same control "Engine", so there is uniformity across the range.

You would reap the benefits of where A-B are putting their development efforts.

Connectivity is not an issue, any network interfaces not supported by A-B can usually be obtained by third-party suppliers.

The system has wide "scalability", supporting very small to very large systems.

Maximum I/O supported by the "Logix" series:-

DriveLogix : 256 (think)
FlexLogix : 512
CompactLogix : 1024
ControlLogix : 128,000 !
SoftLogix : not sure : looks like you can configure one 17-slot chassis.