TIA V12 + S7 Classic (PLC-SIM) Problems

pethoek

I have had a lot of problems after upgrading to TIA V12 SP1. Crashes and stuff.

Now i have a clean new installation of W7U Eng. And then i installed TIA V12 SP1. First attempt failed with an error. And when i created a new project tha TIA crasched when "add new item" was performed. I added a PLC IM151-8 PN/DP and then the TIA crashed.

After that i made a repair installation which succeeded (no errors). And now i could open projects, and the PLC-SIM worked. Fine.

I then installed S7 Classic (Step 7 Prof. 2010 SR3) in the same W7U and everything works fine except for the PLC-SIM part in S7 Classic. When trying to download HW-config to the SIM-PLC i get error that the online module cannot be reached with the subnet bla bla. This has never been a problem before.

Does anybody know if TIA and S7 Classic must be separated, e.g. installed om different windows installations?

I'm frustrated as "beeeeep" struggling with this for many days now. The support gives few answeres.

Anybody experienced anything like this?

Best Regards
Pethoek.

TIA V12 and Step 7 V5.5 can be in same installation. What they cannnot do is, that they cant both be "onlin" at the same time.

Did you also check pg interface?

Ofcource i have checked the pg interface. According to Siemens Support. When PLCSIM is running, you only have to change in the drop down box to whatever the interface your PLC to simulate normally use. And that should be it.

Usually when downloading to PLCSIM the PLC's name is CP841-1 i think. But now, it is IM151-8 PN/DP and will not change whatever i try. All PLCSIM interfaces tested. Even turned off all NIC's in my computer to test if that would help.

Also, in the same box as the TIA V12 SP1 update, there was a separate PLCSIM V12 CD/DVD. Why? Because when you install TIA V12 SP1 there is a PLCSIM installed...? It is very confusing i think.

The Sim which comes in dvd is for plus plc 1200 (mostly it will also useful for 1500 plc's).

The sim which you see is for classic plc's (300/400).

I am from system test dept of TIA... we have classic and TIA in single machine... rule is install classic first then tia.. then no issues u observe :)

Ok. Many rules., i just learnt that W7U/W7P English is a must. You can forget SE-Version. So i bought W7U and installed that one.

Unfortenately i installed TIA first and the classic. I did this because i've had most problem with TIA V12 SP1 with all crashes when uploading to HMI. But the TIA installation now works in my computer, now it is the Classic and PLCSIM that won't work.

So do i need to make a clean W7U installation and then Classic, and then TIA ? That will take another day of my time...

Why u need classic in your machine.... TIA V12 SP1 will support all devices classic/plus plcs.

which win7u installing 32bit or 64bit?... if 64bit you need to choose a proper classic software (above sp1) else it wont support.

Classic is faster and not so messy. The only disadvantage in Classic is that the adressing is by address and not by symbol name. Have heard rumours that there will be an update for classic so you can develop for comfort panels as well. So i think that is a proof of that even Siemens does not think TIA portal is ready for the masses just yet. To many bugs, to many problems.

Classic is still in development phases, due to existing market relations with customers .... Compared with simatic manager TIA has enchanced GUI and easy to program and configure.

Classic targets only individual components like plc,scada,pcs7.... but TIA is designed complex which handles all in one. so obviously there will be bugs until it releases to market with all features.

If we start working with TIA... I am sure after some time(few days) we will never ask for classic again :)

Actually TIA is faster and better to program with in my opinion. Install it in a RAM drive and u can say bye bye to software slowness.

Classic is still in development phases, due to existing market relations with customers .... Compared with simatic manager TIA has enchanced GUI and easy to program and configure.

Classic targets only individual components like plc,scada,pcs7.... but TIA is designed complex which handles all in one. so obviously there will be bugs until it releases to market with all features.

If we start working with TIA... I am sure after some time(few days) we will never ask for classic again :)

I'm sorry, but i gave TIA a fair chance. To many problems bugs. I'm back on solid ground with well proven Classic, and it is so much more light weight and faster than TIA. TIA easy to configure? That tree-view in the left pane is nothing but a big mess. You have to scroll up/down so much that you will get "mouse stress syndrome". ;)

Venkata,

I have been told specifically by Siemens that TIA does not support old hardware (pre 2007), yet you have indicated a number of times that it does. Can you provide some links / Siemens documentation to support this?

Just to add my 2 cents, I find TIA is slow / clumsy compared to Step 7 classic.

I have been told specifically by Siemens that TIA does not support old hardware
Normally, yes... TIA doesn't show old hardware devices in catalogue list, those will be provided on demand basis.

As far as i know, it is because those devices are not in production now.

I have been told specifically by Siemens that TIA does not support old hardware (pre 2007)
As you stated (pre 2007) devices won't support, its wrong, now also you can see many devices older than 2007 are availabe in TIA.

Just to add my 2 cents, I find TIA is slow / clumsy compared to Step 7 classic.

Which version of TIA you are using? may be you used the earlier version of TIA V10, V11... Its performance is improved mean while (there is still scope to improve)

Clumsy: Its based on the person, may be you like individual window for every action you perform.. but in general TIA has nice option most of the actions we can perform in a single window.
TIP: Working with TIA is nice and great if we use big montiors.