Reading L32E with SLC 5/05

24fretslater

Hey all! I'm up late in a hotel room working with my brother on a really cool Biogas system that we have been starting up all week. We are trying to read an array in the L32E with a MSG instruction in a SLC 5/05 and are getting the error code "Connection was broken Error Code(hex):d8

In the L32E the integer array tag is mapped to a SLC file number that is equal to the SLC 5/05 READ MSG instruction target address. (RSLOGIX5000>Logic>Map PLC/SLC Messages)

The SLC 5/05 READ MSG instruction:
Target Device= 500CPU, Local, NO MultiHop

Ethernet Network consists of:
2 SCADA PC's
1 Compactlogix L32E
5 SLC 5/05
3 ML 1400
1 ML 1100
3 AB PV+ (HMI)
10 VFDs (5 powerflex, 5 KTurbo with communication converter modules)

Everything is the bee's knees except trying to read "N104:1" (Virtual data file map) in the compactlogix.

Any reply would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

If You are using SLC505 sending message to Micrologix over ethernet double check if the message instruction on the SLC505 is set up for MultiHop.When using a MSG instruction in the SLC5/05 controller with Micrologix 1100 or 1400 over ethernet the Multihop option needs to be set in order to establish a connection. Otherwise the "connection was broken" error will appear.

Thank you for your reply. The READ MSG instruction resides in the SLC 5/05 and the target is a CompactLogix L32E. There is not a single WRITE MSG in the whole network. We have tried with and without multihop.

Can you go the other way and put a write MSG in the Compactlogix? I think you will find that simpler.

You can read the way you are doing it, but you must use multi-hop and set up the multi-hop tab in the message instruction as stated above, also your PLC/SLC mapping in the Logix PAC needs to be data type INT.

I agree, the MSG configuration in the SLC-5/05 absolutely has to be "Multi-Hop" with a destination of Slot 0.

If it's not, the SLC will use the old PLC-5 Ethernet protocol and the CompactLogix won't answer at all (i.e. "Connection Broken").

The other important thing, also as mentioned, is to be sure the data types and sizes match. If N104 is supposed to be 10 elements long, be sure that 'IntegerTag[x]' is also 10 INT's long.

Can you go the other way and put a write MSG in the Compactlogix? I think you will find that simpler.

You can read the way you are doing it, but you must use multi-hop and set up the multi-hop tab in the message instruction as stated above, also your PLC/SLC mapping in the Logix PAC needs to be data type INT.
Thanks. Yes we can go the other way but unfortunately documentation and programming is already in place for keeping a consistent standard on the network so changing to a WRITE MSG is last resort. I've have searched the web and forums far and wide but have found no information on how to accomplish READING a CompactLogix with a SLC 5/05. Multi Hop is set up, data type is INT...maybe our multi hop settings are incorrect. Is there a prefix to the IP address we're missing or something? Where else might we look?

Oh hey! Looks like the second item wasn't added into the Multi Hop Tab for the backplane. Endless appreciation for your help, everyone. It works. Enjoy the day!