Siemens TIA Portal-New User

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

We recently took delivery of a new machine that was fitted with Siemens equipment, 1200 CPU, HMI & Servos.

We dutifully acquired the TIA Portal basic package that would allow us to supprt & make minor changes as required.
The OEM has provided the original application files, but they are in V10.5 SP1, whereas the version we were supplied is V11.

The TIA Portal recognises this, & tries to convert to V11. This is where it falls over, there are a bunch of warnings & the end result is a failed conversion.

Is this a known issue, or fundamental flaw in the application, or specific to it being SP1?

What options to we have? :confused:
I managed to browse the PLC & HMI, but did get messages saying the blocks were developed in V10.5!

Should we be able to upload the PLC/HMI files with this different version?
We're assuming that the version control is similar to that of Rockwell, you must have the same version as what the project was created in.
The exception being that Rockwell also have firmware versions, is this what the 1200 range have?

If we could get the application converted, can we simply download the new applications, or is a firmware upgrade required also.?

Can we have multiple versions installed on the same OS? If so, we would need to get V10.5 SP1?

Finally, would any of this have to do with it being installed in a XP-Pro SP3 VM? The installation went ok (DotNet install took its time) & the license transfer from USB also worked withouth any issues.

Any advice/tips much appreciated. :unsure:

Edit:
Just did a forum search, found some similar topics so doing some reading not.

Last edited:
Hi,

We recently took delivery of a new machine that was fitted with Siemens equipment, 1200 CPU, HMI & Servos.

We dutifully acquired the TIA Portal basic package that would allow us to supprt & make minor changes as required.
The OEM has provided the original application files, but they are in V10.5 SP1, whereas the version we were supplied is V11.

The TIA Portal recognises this, & tries to convert to V11. This is where it falls over, there are a bunch of warnings & the end result is a failed conversion.

Is this a known issue, or fundamental flaw in the application, or specific to it being SP1?

What options to we have? :confused:
I managed to browse the PLC & HMI, but did get messages saying the blocks were developed in V10.5!

Should we be able to upload the PLC/HMI files with this different version?
We're assuming that the version control is similar to that of Rockwell, you must have the same version as what the project was created in.
The exception being that Rockwell also have firmware versions, is this what the 1200 range have?

If we could get the application converted, can we simply download the new applications, or is a firmware upgrade required also.?

Can we have multiple versions installed on the same OS? If so, we would need to get V10.5 SP1?

Finally, would any of this have to do with it being installed in a XP-Pro SP3 VM? The installation went ok (DotNet install took its time) & the license transfer from USB also worked withouth any issues.

Any advice/tips much appreciated. :unsure:

Edit:
Just did a forum search, found some similar topics so doing some reading not.

Hi!

As from my exipience:
V10.5 works only on WinXP, crushes often on Win Vista.
V11.0 works on Win7.
V10.5 did not worked neither on VMware nor Microsoft VM.

V11.0 can not import V10.5 (or Step7) project if project has any library included on other specific instruction.

Not sure if you've come across my thread yet with the same issue.

What I can tell you is that you need to get hold of V10.5. Hopefully you can still buy it. If not read below...

Normally I would never suggest this on this forum but since Siemens help can't be found just yet, download V10.5 from a torrent site (n)

Hi!

As from my exipience:
V10.5 works only on WinXP, crushes often on Win Vista.
V11.0 works on Win7.
V10.5 did not worked neither on VMware nor Microsoft VM.

V11.0 can not import V10.5 (or Step7) project if project has any library included on other specific instruction.
Interesting, so would V10.5 install on a VM, or not at all? Or did it just not function? I have installed & can browse devices from the VM, but that is about it.
When you say Library or other specific instruction, do you mean User created FB's & the like?

Not sure if you've come across my thread yet with the same issue.

What I can tell you is that you need to get hold of V10.5. Hopefully you can still buy it. If not read below...

Normally I would never suggest this on this forum but since Siemens help can't be found just yet, download V10.5 from a torrent site (n)
Yep, found your thread after posting this. OEM has said they also have an issue with V11, so waiting to hear back from them early next week now.šŸ™ƒ

I believe with everything but AND, OR etc. instructions. Even watch tables are not compatible. If you make project in V10.5, consistnig only of 'blank' CPU and watch table, it can not be imported into V11. :(

You have to upgrade the firmware from V1.0 to 2.0 to use V11 with an old 1200 PLC. Unfortuantely the firmware upgrade can only be done with $iemens memroy card.

Yes I have V10.5 and V11 running side by side. It is the only way I can view machines online.

I donĀ“t agree with HJTRBO.

"You have to upgrade the firmware from V1.0 to 2.0 to use V11 with an old 1200 PLC. Unfortuantely the firmware upgrade can only be done with $iemens memroy card."

Please read this ID from Siemens after title:
"Changes in the behavior of a CPU with V2 firmware or STEP 7 V11"

http://support.automation.siemens.c...lib.csinfo&lang=en&objid=38711660&caller=view

This PDF also might help.

https://support.automation.siemens.com/dnl/Dc/Dc0NjcyNQAA_50389257_Akt/Readme.pdf