Factory Talk View Normally Closed Pushbutton Problem

steven_s_54

I am having a problem with FTV using N/C pushbuttons. I am using a Panelview Plus 1500 over remote i/o. The problem is whenever the panelview is first powered up all of the normally closed pushbuttons are normally open. Once the button is toggled one time it then becomes normally closed. The only workaround I have found for this is to define an alias for every pushbutton in the remote i/o communications setup and set the initial value to TRUE. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a better way to fix it?

Thanks

steven_s_54 said:
I was wondering if this is normal or just another FTV quirk?

Thanks

There is a technote (Answer ID 39912) regarding this issue with devicenet and their suggestion is the same one you applied (use alias tags and set the initial state to 1).

They use the word 'problem' in single quotes as if to suggest that it is something that is normal, and not 'really' a problem.

Their technote is unclear as to whether the state of the object's address in the PLC is incorrect (as I would expect) or if it's only the display state shown on the screen. If the PLC address is in the wrong state, then it is definitely a 'problem'.

If the HMI is giving false information, then it's par for the course for the Panelview Plus and Factory Talk View in general. I am not sure why, but they (rockwell) like to give you a variety of ways to get the HMI to lie to you.

There is a technote (Answer ID 39912) regarding this issue with devicenet and their suggestion is the same one you applied (use alias tags and set the initial state to 1).

They use the word 'problem' in single quotes as if to suggest that it is something that is normal, and not 'really' a problem.

Their technote is unclear as to whether the state of the object's address in the PLC is incorrect (as I would expect) or if it's only the display state shown on the screen. If the PLC address is in the wrong state, then it is definitely a 'problem'.

If the HMI is giving false information, then it's par for the course for the Panelview Plus and Factory Talk View in general. I am not sure why, but they (rockwell) like to give you a variety of ways to get the HMI to lie to you.
Yes the PLC address is in the wrong state after power up until the panelview button is toggled one time. From then on it works correctly. I am using version 5.10 and I had the same problem in version 4. This is only one of the many strange RSview/FTV problems I've pulled my hair out for over the past few years.

Thanks for the replys.

If the HMI is giving false information, then it's par for the course for the Panelview Plus and Factory Talk View in general.

And par for many other HMI's to act this way, not doing a readback from the plc upon power up. Some have the ability, if the application is programmed correctly but sadly many totally screw the pooch in this area.

The use of any thing other than a N.O. momentary PB on a HMI screen has been discussed at length here before.

One question is there a way to command a toggle to a pushbutton?
could be one workaround. I haven't worked with the panelviews that extensively so not sure on its capabilities. Or is there a way to detect when the panelview first powers up and tie that into a bit of code to watch for the change of state on a button?

Last edited: