Panelview Plus 600 to 700 conversion??

Shawn Cassidy

Hi,
Just started working on a new project. The machine has an Allen-Bradley MicroLogix 1500 and a Panelview Plus 700 touch. The original PV program was written for a PV Plus 600 touch. Can the existing program be converted to work with the 700? Is there anything that I should be aware of? Also, the 700 comes with a built-in Ethernet port. Can this port be used as a pass through to the ML1500? The customer wants to do data collection and possibly program the HMI and PLC remotely. I've looked for the info on the AB site and it appears the port can be used as a pass through, but I thought I would make certain with someone that has had experience with this screen. I could generate tags in the HMI for the data collection if needed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

this really hurts...

I feel like an unwanted puppy left on the side of a highway to fend for myself.... at least they left me with this can of food (RSView ME software). Just didn't give me the tool to open it. So I'll sit here and gnaw on it for a while until a Mack truck zips by and squishes my head and puts me out of my misery.....

That feels better....

Does anyone know what manual I should be using to know how to program a Panelview Plus 700 using RSView Machine Edition? There's too much literature to muddle through. Need to get going on this..
Any help would be much appreciated.

oh well before you get run over!!

have you tried

Publication 2711P-UM001E-EN-P​

this is the panel view user manual, search for it​

Here

as for programming the HMI have you done this before? have you tried help files in rs view?​

Done many Panelview screens using panelbuilder32. Found it pretty straight forward. I found some info in the help files and literature on the AB site. I'll look at the link you posted. I'm doing user groups and passwords. Seems pretty complex for no reason... then again I might be enlightened. Doesn't seem very intuitive...

Thanks.

yeah it has been a long time since i configured any accounts, i can remember the two types 3.x and 4.0 but cant mind which one i used.

try at the bottom of the explorer window, expand system, then users and groups, on users right click and select add new. i think i did it that way, but it has been years, let me know if you have any luck with that and if not i will try it myself here.

cheers

myles

In the middle of it now.... what the hell were they thinking? looks like you need to make macros for login and logout then assign to users. Sleeping might be difficult tonight. I don't think I have enough room in my brain for this... wish we were all given a little button when we purchased this software so every time we ran into a mess like this we could press it. It would in-turn give a mild (ever increasing in intensity) electrical stimulation (shock) to the software engineer that developed it. I have one for my dog so he doesn't go off the property and he listens pretty well. Do you think they would?

I apologize, I'm a little frustrated with the attitude at AB. Customer support is at an all time low for them. Omron is such a pleasure to do business with.

i think that would def make someone listen anyway, i did try and have a quick look at my old file, and cant even work out how i did it, i do remember i had to read the whole help file on it though!!

no problem, i know that feeling also, but i have really only worked with the ab products i cant really gage them against the rest! might need to give it a go one day!!

cheers

myles

Myles,

Thanks for your help. Think I have no choice but read the entire section before attempting any programming.

All the brands have their good and bad points. I just think AB is getting more bad points lately...
It is a reliable product once you get it up and running though... certainly keeps us "automation experts" in business.

Are you trying to create something to use as a log in and log out feature?

Did you figure out if the ethernet port could be used as a pass thru? I have done ML1500 to PV+ on ethernet but I used the Net-Eni module to get the 1500 on ethernet.

Turns out you do need the Ethernet module. The PV+ does not support pass-thru??? Would be something for the AB engineering dept to look at..... right.

I'm attempting to add more users (operators) to the login/logout. At the moment there are 2 passwords programmed into the HMI. The client needs to have multiple users available so that every user has his or her own password and access level. I've found the ADD USer dialogue window and I'm slowly going through the process. Very painful....

I know that there is a location where you can select A through P (I believe) to assign user access...

Yeah, caught me out at first!! It's apparently been fixed in ME 5.0 but in 4.0 you can't edit user created accounts (access etc) from the usual edit screen...you have to click 'Add New User/Group' - then it displays the properties for each account (see Pic)

It's funny, i don't recall anyone else mentioning how unintuitive RSView ME is....:ROFLMAO: (and yes, my tongue is firmly embedded in my cheek!!!)

Rob

Users.jpg

Shawn Cassidy said:
I know that there is a location where you can select A through P (I believe) to assign user access...

Have you sussed it out yet ?

In FTStudio ME5

Go to System (Down bottom of left pane under RSLinx Enterprise) > Users and Groups > Users

Right Click on Users - select New

Give the user a name and password etc in the first tab, then assign them group membership in the second tab, ie administrator (click ADD)

Tip: If its a keypad only screen i would suggest the username and password are both Numeric only unless a mouse is connected to the unit

Then go to System (Top of left pane under your named project)

Double Click Runtime Security, then Click ADD, then in the pop up window select bullet tab Show Users Only, then select your user, click OK and then highlight them and give them security settings A to P, the default user will need changing also to have less security....

At least thats how i did it last week and all worked well on a PV+1500

Edit: KidBlue just read your post, i missed that button within Runtime Security! My way works but yours is quicker, ill try and remember it!!

Last edited:
Forgot to add

You then need to assign the screen a security code, all will have * by default which means anyone can access them (Default Users)

Double click on your display you want to assign a new security setting (ie open it for editing) then go to the top menu Edit > Display Settings (or right click on white space within the open screen and select Display Settings) and in there is a drop down for Security Codes where you can select A-P which corresponds to the users security you have just made.

Found out where to do the changes and now I understand the use of A through P. Just found something wierd though. The user's identification is this long string rather than "admin" or some reference to a dept. for example. This is an existing program, but I don't know why this string would be here rather than a simple ID...
I also need to display the user that is logged in. That string is really bothering me.... what is it?