Producer Consumer Messging between Control Logix & Compact Logix

plcnovel

Hi All
I have a compact logix processor L35E with a built in ethernet port and a ControlLogix5555 processor with 1756-ENET ethernet module. I am trying to accomplish messaging between them based on producer and consumer model. I am trying to use an example in 1756-ENET usermanual which describes messaging between control logix and control logix, but not between control logix and compact logix. My compact logix processor is a producer and control logix processor is a consumer. I am having a difficulty in setting up my conusmer processor. How should i add my producer (Compact Logix) into my consumer (Control Logix) RSLogix 5000 program under I/O configuration. I am new to this kind of messaging, please help me out in this regard. Thanks in advance

First you have to add the ENET module to the IO configuration of the L5555.

I got ahead of myself a little. Your controller must have on board Ethernet. It might be done as a generic device?

I have not used Compact Logix before. I will have to keep up with this post myself.

RSL

Last edited:
Thanks RSL
So my RPI value should be the same in both controllers...right? What would you think a RPI value for testing purpose?

The RPI is determined by the Consumer. You must define the producer tags first. Then you will go to the other controller and define the Consumer tags. When you choose consumed for the tag type you will get extra fields that will ask for this info.

Again reread my first post, I am not sure how to add the Ethernet of your L35E.

RSL

The Consumed tags will have a field where you tell it who the producer is, this comes from the IO tree. You must have the producer in the IO tree BEFORE you can create a consumed tag array.

Read the KB document above.

You need to add the L35E as a child of your ENET card. It will be listed as 1769-L35E Ethernet Port. Once you add this to your L5555 IO Config you can create your consumed tags.

I had some trouble looking at this on my PC at home. It looks like the L35E is not supported in Version 11. I converted to Version 13 and it is an option there. That was where I got lost earlier in this post. I went to add it on a test project and it was not a choice. It looks like it works just like any other Logix family controller.

Use the KB document for detailed instructions. You are using a CLX and an ENET card. It is really the same process though.

Clear as mud?

RSL

HI RSL
I think i got that working nicely> My only concern now is, how reliable this communication is? I mean can we use this method to transfer critical data with out any problem'

Produce/Consume messages are handled by ControlLogix and CompactLogix in the same manner as I/O connections, so it depends on the Ethernet network being sound.

I monitor the connection status in each controller with a periodic GSV to the Module object of the opposite controller.

I consider it to be very reliable. It will be as reliable as the network is. Meaning, the switch, cable routing etc. The network and it's design and instalation are what decides the reliability of it.

It is intended for use with critical or time sensitve data. By using the producer consumer model you are putting the communication overhead on the ENET module not your processor. Messages take more processor resources and are somewhat scan dependant. The RPI you specify is going to be very close to the actual update time of your data. Again, the networks design and load are pretty signifigant players in how reliable it really will be.

If your network is properly installed using approved hardware, it will be VERY reliable. If you are using a dedicated network for I/O and producer/consumer connections it will be VERY VERY reliable and can be set at a very fast RPI.

Produced consumed tags are Class 1 connections. They are the same as I/O. The processor recieves the data the same way as I/O.

You have not said what RPI is needed and how deterministic it has to be? Ethernet is usually more than up to the task.

RSL

Ken Roach said:
Produce/Consume messages are handled by ControlLogix and CompactLogix in the same manner as I/O connections, so it depends on the Ethernet network being sound.

I monitor the connection status in each controller with a periodic GSV to the Module object of the opposite controller.

Hi Ken
RSL said that there is a KB document on how to monitoring the Ethernet Connection on each controller....can you tell me the ID of that Document.....or how could i do that becaue i never dealt with it before....thanks