1756-l55 v16 fw

sandy5020

Hi,

Anyone can help to get the FW16 for 1756-L55 as the CPU OK indication is flashing red as I have a new CPU and inserted a memory module. While searching in Rockwell forum the version is not supported currently.

Regards
Sandy

Start at the Product Compatibilty and Download Center, and use "1756-L55" as your search terms.

https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/home.aspx

Version 16.023 is the only version that is available to download. It will be compatible with all installations of RSLogix 5000 v16.

A flashing red LED indicates a recoverable major fault that a keyswitch cycle or power cycle should clear, or that you can get online and read the fault log for. There should be no need to re-install or update firmware.

The download that you get will have an executable installer for the ControlFlash firmware tool, with the 1756-L55 version 16 firmware included in the installation kit.

Hi,

It was not success and I got a different module ie 1756-L55 with FW version 10.0 so while loading the program which is in FW 16.02 it was saying update firmware to proceed so I downloaded the firmware 16.023 from rockwell and tried to flash it but during the process it is showing some error. Tried many times and quit :(

Please advice if you have any solution

So it appears you are connecting to the controller using an RS232 connection. I think that could be the issue.

During the firmware update the controller may restart a couple times. This is a normal part of the upgrade process. When it restarts, you lose communications briefly. But since the serial connection is very slow, I suspect it is not able to reconnect fast enough, and the update tool is detecting a timeout. I saw this issue with disconnection more commonly when using a USB to Serial adapter for my PC. Back when my PC had a real serial port I rarely saw connection (or disconnection) issues.

Is it possible to connect with the controller using Ethernet? Is there an Ethernet module in the chassis? If you can connect using Ethernet the whole upgrade process is faster and you shouldn't have an issue reconnecting when the controller restarts.

You might also try using the ControlFlash utility to do the firmware upgrade instead of doing the upgrade as part of a download. The ControlFlash utility should have been installed either when RSLogix was installed or it would have been installed with the downloaded firmware.

OG

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response! Yeah I was also thinking about this usb to serial converter... I have an ethernet module on the chasis and I will try with that as well and update the result here.... Thank you !!

Yeah I was also thinking about this usb to serial converter...
Another thing that often trips you up flashing firmware via USB-serial adaptors if you're also using a virtual machine is that when the PLC power cycles, the USB-serial adaptor can become disconnected from the VM, and the user has to re-click the "connect to VM" button to reconnect it. If you don't do this quick enough, you get the behaviour you describe.

You can also experience similar behaviour if your computer goes to sleep, which often happens if you're on battery power and doing a flash over serial (because it takes a long time). I learned the hard way long ago to always flash via ethernet unless it absolutely can't be avoided, and to always have my charger connected if at all possible.

Of course we don't know whether or not you have a VM or whether that was part of the issue, and since you've solved the problem by using ethernet it's largely moot - just leaving that there for posterity in case it helps someone else in the future.