Second Hand RA studio 5000 and FTView

Hey All, i took a bit of a gamble today. I bought a second hand version of Studio5000, FTView Studio, FTView Studio ME.

I have been using Logix5000 for years now on my PC. It has never skipped a beat, so i never really needed to question how it all worked from a licence point of view. But I recently needed to purchase FTView suite for a project, and while browsing ebay, I saw an offer i could not refuse... (I know I know... i could regret this a lot).

The purchase was not cheap, but as you all can imagine, it certainly was not retail pricing either. There is no way i can afford retail. Both suites come with a red envelope stating:

"Your Software and Factory Talk Activation information are enclosed"

I believe (hope) the licence details are in there...

I take it this is an obsolete copy and the previous company who owned it has upgraded.

I need to wait a few weeks (possibly over a month) to arrive here. While i wait, can anyone foresee any licencing issues i might run into?

FTView.jpg Studio5000.jpg

You need a TOO (Transfer Of Ownership) from the original owner sent to Rockwell stating you are the new owner. If not, and you have ANY issues, Rockwell will say you are on your own.

And if it does work, you are only entitled to the versions on the CD/DVD discs. If you get the Transfer of Ownership, then you can get older versions too. But you would not get any newer versions. It looks like View is version 7. Version 13 is the current version. And it looks like the Logix is version 21 and that is currently at version 35.

OG

I think it's a bad move, ebay is notorius for rip offs, may not have licence, transfer of ownership could be difficult, out of date so will limit the PLC's/HMI's or what ever you connect too, maybe an expensive box that sits on the shelf.

Good advice about the TOO. I believe the company details of the original licence owner is included in the packaging. I will request they send a TOO to rockwell.

Hey All. I have had some wins. Was able to activate 2 of the three software items i bought from ebay. The third item i am still working on, but the sell has agreed to refund me if i am not successful.

Studio5000, installed, activated and running OK.

FTView Studio, installed, activated. NOT starting up.

Able to begin startup by pressing the FTV icon. I select an application. FTV begins starting up as normal. Startup almost reaches the end, then freezes.

After reading PLCtalk threads on (not so similar) subjects, i read this:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=94432

The most useful suggesting i can see is to install RA patch rollup.

In the RA download site, i found Patch Roll-up CPR9 SRx

https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductSelector.aspx?crumb=111

Seeing as my software was released around 2013, i figure i should only require the patches up to around 2015

Do i select one of the months of 2015, and it will include all the previous relevant patches? Or must i select every month between 213 and 2015? Then install them all one by one?

I believe the patch rollup contains patches for the older versions too. It will apply patches to the products it sees installed and skip the patches for products not installed. So there should be no need to install the month by month patches.

OG

** EDIT ** The release notes say it covers FT View 5.0 and later. You can look at that to see exactly what products and versions are covered.

Last edited: