PLC 700 to 600

RVJRII

We have asked Sy/Max and a few other dealers of SquareD on the subject. We orginally had a 700 processor with a 700 Memory Module attached to the system. The 700 Processor went bad along with the memory module. We were forced to go to a 600 processor. Well the 600 processor only has 2 ports. We need ports 2 and 3. Don't ask me why they hooked it up that way? Anyways we also hooked up a SPE4 port expander which is suppose to expand the available ports for the 600. We are in the processor of changing from the JC500 system to the Factory Link system. The Factory link will work on port 1 & port 2 of the 600 processor, and the expansion card (SPE4), the JC500 will not work on either one. We are hooked up through serial. Yes we went through the ladder logic and changed the print link to read port 1 as well as port 2. Only for those who know that the 700 is a dinosaur you have to understand that our company they get there use out of equipment.

The Spectrum Controls SPE4 module is not a simple port expander. It is really a single card network. Your communication statements now need to contain a "from" and "to" route number (i.e. 0001,0003 will allow whatever is on port 1 to talk to the device on port 3). This route will have to be added to your Factory Link statements as well as any in the processor. The Print command does not support networking so you will have to issue a Write command first to define the correct routing.

Alternatively, the SPE4 can also be programmed to act as a pass through bridge which negates the need for the routing in the PLC or the Factory Link. Got to http://www.spectrumcontrols.com for the SPE4 manuals and software.

A final solution is to connect the Factory Link directly to port 1 or 2 on the PLC, now no changes are needed except to change port assignment in the PLC Print statements. Connect the SPE4 to the other port on the PLC and use the routing commands in your other devices (i.e. programming device).