1734-IB8S EDS file

jgebhardt said:
...They are very particular in the entertainment industry and they expect them all to match...

Fair enough on the reason for wanting them all the same, but just to note, at the end of the day both Series A and B of these particular modules will do the same thing. Having one Series A in the mix should not interfere with the core functionality of the system.

jgebhardt said:
...the rest are series B and most likely the spares would be as well...when they go to swap it out the module is faulted because it doesn't match the series and firmware revision in the program...

This is because you probably have the Electronic Keying for all the module AOP instances set to Exact Match for Series B Firmware Revision 2.0. If set to Compatible Module then the module will not fault when replacing a Series A with a Series B.

Note: For Electronic Keying using Compatible Module the Series (Hardware) of the modules does not matter. Only the Firmware Revision is compared. A module of one Firmware Revision can be replaced with a module of the same or higher Firmware Revision. A Series B module will naturally have a higher Firmware Revision than a Series A module, but the Series is not checked here, only the Firmware Revision.

As this is a 1734-IB8S, it is a Safety module. They, you, others, anyone might automatically assume that a Safety application would dictate that you must use Exact Match for Electronic Keying, but this is not so.

There is no stipulation that you must use Exact Match for Safety applications. However, for Safety or Standard applications, in general it is advised to use Exact Match where you can. Failing that you can use Compatible Module.

This would allow them to continue to use the Series A module in with the Series B modules and easily swap it out for a Series B should the need ever arise.

But something tells me that that still will not sit too well with their "very particular" selves?

..."A Series A in with the B's!?"..."Compatible Module instead of Exact Match!?"..."Who do you think you are dealing with here!?"...

At the end of the day, and for the sake of one module, it would probably be best to just swap it out for a Series B module and keep everyone happy, now, and in the future.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
the_msp said:
My guess is he is looking for the fish that enterprise is used for factory talk -> PLC comms and not PLC -> IO, etc, comms

Nope. Let's zoom in a bit and read it again...

Geospark said:
...So a registered EDS file tells the likes of RSLinx Classic, RSLinx Enterprise...about what is already there in a device...

...I've dangled a hook there...

Hmm???

Customer spec

Fair enough on the reason for wanting them all the same, but just to note, at the end of the day both Series A and B of these particular modules will do the same thing. Having one Series A in the mix should not interfere with the core functionality of the system.

This is because you probably have the Electronic Keying for all the module AOP instances set to Exact Match for Series B Firmware Revision 2.0. If set to Compatible Module then the module will not fault when replacing a Series A with a Series B.

Note: For Electronic Keying using Compatible Module the Series (Hardware) of the modules does not matter. Only the Firmware Revision is compared. A module of one Firmware Revision can be replaced with a module of the same or higher Firmware Revision. A Series B module will naturally have a higher Firmware Revision than a Series A module, but the Series is not checked here, only the Firmware Revision.

As this is a 1734-IB8S, it is a Safety module. They, you, others, anyone might automatically assume that a Safety application would dictate that you must use Exact Match for Electronic Keying, but this is not so.

There is no stipulation that you must use Exact Match for Safety applications. However, for Safety or Standard applications, in general it is advised to use Exact Match where you can. Failing that you can use Compatible Module.

This would allow them to continue to use the Series A module in with the Series B modules and easily swap it out for a Series B should the need ever arise.

But something tells me that that still will not sit too well with their "very particular" selves?

..."A Series A in with the B's!?"..."Compatible Module instead of Exact Match!?"..."Who do you think you are dealing with here!?"...

At the end of the day, and for the sake of one module, it would probably be best to just swap it out for a Series B module and keep everyone happy, now, and in the future.

Regards,
George

Most of our customers specify that we use "Exact Match" in the electronic keying. Our customers have engineers in their "Creative" department that specify everything we do right down to how the code is written. They don't just want it to do what they want, they want to specify how it does what they want. It's very different from a lot of industrial automation applications where the customer says "I want a machine that does this" and the rest is up to the OEM. It's really a very cumbersome process to do anything in the entertainment/amusement park industry.

Swapping the module is the conclusion that I came to. I just haven't ordered one yet and we are trying to get our Factory Acceptance Test done so it will probably be changed after the fact.

Thanks for the input.

Geospark said:
Zoom...

...EDS...RSLinx Enterprise...

Here fishy fishy...

Don't be afraid. I always catch and release...

No takers?...

Ok...

Does RSLinx Enterprise use EDS files, or not?

G.

I'm very surprised to not have any replies on this seeing as I have noticed in the past some Forum members who seem pretty sure of their answer on this one?

It was because I had read one such answer again recently, while searching for something else, that I decided to broach the subject here.

I'm here to teach, not preach, and of course learn, like everyone else.

G.

I'll bump this up one more time and if no interest is shown I'll let sleeping dogs lie, for now...