What's your favorite obscure tools you have? (Software or Hardware)

Probably not obscure at this point, but the Knipex Pliers Wrench is insanely handy, great replacement for an adjustable wrench. For those who don't know about them, the jaws open parallel instead of opening like a pair of Channel Locks, and they have smooth jaws so they don't mar surfaces. They also have an 11:1 mechanical advantage so the jaws grip much harder than you have to squeeze. Great for instrument techs working on Swagelok fittings.
I'll throw in my $0.02 since I have a set of these. It's a good tool but not a universal replacement for an adjustable wrench as is sometimes claimed. IF you have lots of room around what you're tightening (like in your pic) then it's absolutely the cat's a**, even better than an open end wrench for stubborn fasteners since it's easy to make it super tight on the flats. However, in a tight spot you have to be able to get the jaws on the nut in addition to continually opening and closing the handles. In these cases it's just as frustrating as trying to use a pair of channel locks. Plus, it can take some time to get the jaws adjusted properly since they don't have a lot of movement. I bought these thinking they would replace my adjustable wrenches but now I carry both.

I'll throw in my $0.02 since I have a set of these. It's a good tool but not a universal replacement for an adjustable wrench as is sometimes claimed. IF you have lots of room around what you're tightening (like in your pic) then it's absolutely the cat's a**, even better than an open end wrench for stubborn fasteners since it's easy to make it super tight on the flats. However, in a tight spot you have to be able to get the jaws on the nut in addition to continually opening and closing the handles. In these cases it's just as frustrating as trying to use a pair of channel locks. Plus, it can take some time to get the jaws adjusted properly since they don't have a lot of movement. I bought these thinking they would replace my adjustable wrenches but now I carry both.

I actually typically carry the pliers wrench and an adjustable as well.

I also have a bunch of Wera screwdrivers, both standard size and precision, as well as the Kraftform Kompact multi-bit:

https://products.wera.de/en/kraftform_kompakt_kraftform_kompakt_20_22_25_26_28_kk_25.html

Personally my favourite multi-bit, although it's not great for panel work. The Wiha PicoFinish precision screwdrivers are excellent as well, nice rubbery texture on the handle.

Geniusintraining beat me to it....I love this tool milwaukee hand screwdriver... With torque setting building panels, checking connections.......many other uses.

Also this cabling stripping tool. Weidmuller and Phoenix i think make these. When using machine cables this makes life so much easier and more precise

milwaukee_hand_screwdriver.PNG weidmuller_cable_stripper.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks Nathan, I'll check that out.

For me, AngryIP still is mega useful to scan entire networks to find potentially open IPs. It's great for customers who want to add some Ethernet devices but their documentation is non-existent.

Let me know what you think of it after trying out.
I was a long time AngryIP user, but now totally spoiled by Slitheris Network Scanner.
Not only MAC address, but the OS and build it is running, type of device (linux, windows, printer, voip, etc), brand of device, uptime, even the time on the remote computer/device...and even more.

Jesper also did mention a very good tool when working with networks.....esp siemens and profinet Siemens Proneta.
I have commisioned a few plant remotely with this tool installed on a local technicians laptop. Very handy