Upload and version problems with TIA Portal

Wino

One of my engineers was on site doing a commissioning of a sister company's equipment. The PLC is one of the newer S7-1500 types. The original program was written with TIA Portal V13 SP1. My guy has the latest version of TIA Portal V13 SP2. Our procedures are to always upload what is in the PLC before doing anything else, so that's what he tried to do.

He opened a new, blank project, and unsuccessfully tried to upload. He didn't tell me the exact error message, but it was something like, "The hardware configuration was created and downloaded with an incompatible version of Step7. Could not upload hardware configuration."

Heretofore, an updated version of Step 7 could always access a program written with an older version. Was my guy doing something wrong, or is this a possibility with TIA Portal?

As this was a sister company, they sent an updated program to work with, so this was a slowdown and an inconvenience, but if we come across another system without the original program, this could be a problem.

Can anyone give me any wisdom in this situation?

Thanks for reading.

My guy has the latest version of TIA Portal V13 SP2.

Strictly speaking, V13 SP1 Update 4 is the most recent version. Not sure what version your guy has installed. If it is V13 Update 2 (instead of SP2), then he needs to get to SP1 before he will be able to upload.

Heretofore, an updated version of Step 7 could always access a program written with an older version. Was my guy doing something wrong, or is this a possibility with TIA Portal?
Back in the Simatic Manager days, S7 would let you cross versions just fine, but if there was something in the project out of date it would only show you the parts of the project it understood.

Now in the Portal world, everything has to move in lock step. I can't find it now, but I recall seeing a chart once that described which versions can perform which online processes with PLC's that had been downloaded to by another version. If I recall, it basically boiled down to you can do whatever you want with this version or one version back, but any further back than that and options started being more limited.

I have stopped trying... sounds like MK42 knows more then I, but I have just started making a new program in the latest version of TIA (I started with 10.5) and just copying the logic and settings from the old and pasting it into the new version/CPU then downloading it to the CPU

That said I did have the latest version of the program, I was not trying to upload a version from the CPU

There are still a few things that would make the software/hardware better but it seams like V13 is good (also using SP1)

http://www.industry.siemens.com/top...portal/system-requirements/pages/default.aspx

My experience with TIA V13: if you are trying to upload from a CPU, the service packs much match.
e.g. if download was done with SP1, you cannot upload with SP2.