Trying to open some programs I wrote decades ago

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
I started by Installing Windows NT in a virtual box. For some reason my memory saved that experience as wonderful. Why, I will never know.
That sucked. Also, RS Logix 500 v6.20 complained about my Windows NT version.

Just to see what would happen. I tried to install it in Windows 10 Home.
I was amazed that it installed.
I was hoping that it would at least allow me to view my code w/o a key disk.

After struggling to find a floppy disk...
And, the floppy key disk is too old to even be read.

Am I a hoarder for keeping that old zip disk from 1996 that I will probably never be able to read?

What are my available options:
1) Buy a key From Rockwell?
a) Do they even still sell a key for v6.20.
b) How much would that even cost?
c) Would it be more cost effective to just rewrite the code from scratch?
2) Try to get a key off Ebay?
3) Bribe a guy?

They offer a free version now a days. I'm sure its a convoluted process because its Rockwell but it should be there none the less.

The key is going to be one of those old EVMove style keys, which Rockwell won't sell any more because they were so easily hackable.

If, in your hoard, you have any "licensed" copy of RSlogix 5000 prior to v.15 or so, it will have an EVMove file. Since Rockwell made things backwards compatible, if it works on v.15 it should work on v.6

There's a technique for transferring that file to USB, but I forget the details. Search the forum for 'EVMove" and you'll likely find the answers. Although you may have to search the "old" forum (if that's still around) for knowledge that vintage. IIRC, you had to first format the thumb drive in a special way that EVMove would like, and then there was a different EVMove executable (EVMoveF.exe ?) to do the transfer to the stick. I have a small 64K stick in a drawer at the office that I prepared years ago.

Good luck !

Last edited:
The key is going to be one of those old EVMove style keys, which Rockwell won't sell any more because they were so easily hackable.

If, in your hoard, you have any "licensed" copy of RSlogix 5000 prior to v.15 or so, it will have an EVMove file. Since Rockwell made things backwards compatible, if it works on v.15 it should work on v.6

There's a technique for transferring that file to USB, but I forget the details. Search the forum for 'EVMove" and you'll likely find the answers. Although you may have to search the "old" forum (if that's still around) for knowledge that vintage. IIRC, you had to first format the thumb drive in a special way that EVMove would like, and then there was a different EVMove executable (EVMoveF.exe ?) to do the transfer to the stick. I have a small 64K stick in a drawer at the office that I prepared years ago.

Good luck !

Floppy disk won't read. Apparently I am old as dirt. I guess floppies have a shelf life.

Floppy disk won't read. Apparently I am old as dirt. I guess floppies have a shelf life.

Actually all electronic media does. Even CD's are supposed to have a shelf life of less than 80 years. (unless that has changed in recent years)

If you have the original floppy then in my mind Rockwell support will/should help and recover it.

For the EVMove to a flash drive download EVMoveCF, that will read & write to USB sticks.

EDIT: on Windows 10 make sure you Run As Administrator or it will remove the old license and then WILL fault creating the new one and it will be lost, Rockwell will not help unless you have the original floppy. (Been through that)

For me whenever I decommission an old PC or line with a PC HMI I always EVMove any licenses off to keep before I trash the computer. I have 5 laptops and 4 desktops with licenses for RSL5, RSL500 and about half have an EVMove license for RSL5000 old versions.

Last edited:
If Rockwell won't sell it to me, then there shouldn't be a problem w/ someone sharing their key?

I have trouble w/ people understanding me on the phone since the surgeon cut the cancer tumor off my tongue and re attached it.

I have trouble w/ people understanding me on the phone since the surgeon cut the cancer tumor off my tongue and re attached it.

I have always used the Chat feature of tech support for license issues and they have always helped me convert from EVRSI licensing to FactoryTalk licenses without charging anything. We do have a TechConnect contract, but that is not supposed to be required for license issues.

If you have a valid EVRSI license and can give the Chat person from Rockwell the license number and product key or at least the name of the original owner, they can likely help you and relatively quickly, all without having to speak to a person on the phone or wait on hold.

V6 does not support FactoryTalk Activation. If you install 8.40.00 or newer I could help ya out with a temp license to open your old file.