Isolator for linear encoder 0-10v need advice

Martindag

heya guys,

For my project, i'm currently looking to add this type of linear encoder.
The control company i'm working with told me they had bad experience with 0-10v power supply from encoder in a industrial environment since its a potentiometer, if the power supply voltage change for some reason all the measurement wont be accurate.

I asked him if we added a isolator 0-10v / 0-10v like this one if it would solve the problem.

https://catalog.weidmueller.com/catalog/Start.do?localeId=en&ObjectID=8540340000

But i wanted some advice from you if you have any!

have a nice day!

FESTO
MLO-POT-750-TLF

https://www.festo.com/ca/en/a/152631/?q=MLO-POT-750-TLF~:festoSortOrderScored

Power supply voltage is really irrelevant as long as its within operating range. The output stage is 0 - 10v analog. TBH an isolator will not serve the purpose you desire, unless its solely for the customers comfort. If the output stage of the encoder were to fail the isolator ( Which is essentially a non-inverting buffer ) would spit out the same signal. Now if noise, signal matching, or cable length is an issue, that's a different story. Those would certainly stand to use an isolator.

Personally I don't see that many of them fail in that manner. Especially the Festos. Currently have 1,000s in use in our plant. In our experience you'll completely lose the reading instead of getting bad readings.

Last edited:
i need to move a carriage and measure the displacement for around 30 inch
depending of the product we do, i could adjust it to 8 inch or 12 1/4 etc
theres a lot of saw dust in that machine also, well not THAT bad but still...

we use it to cut wood sheet so it also need to be pretty accurate, and have to be able to do some kind of auto measurement correction if for some reason it move.

if you got any good product that seem to fit my needs, feel free to link it to me
Thanks a lot guys!

The distance isnt bad from the PLC, maybe like 25 feets away from the encoder. i can also make sure the cable is not close of any 600v motor cable or something, that encoder would be about 2 feets from a 5hp motor 600v thats pretty much it

As Tarik1978 mentioned a linear magnetic encoder will serve your purpose.

In the datasheet for the encoder you provided they have the Magnetic version
MME-MTS-750-AIF

Balluff also makes pretty good linear mags. Linear magnetic encoders will give you a resolution ( Common ones we use are 5 micrometers resolution ). Positioning is absolute. Very rarely get bad measurements ( As in seemingly good measurements. Have had plenty fail over time but usually either upscale or downscale. )

oh great thanks , i will look for the magnetic option from festo and also for Baluff

Thanks for these precious feedback!