CX programmer communication glitch?

mordred

here is the situation I've had to fight with in the past at first
I thought it was merely something I was doing wrong however I've now seen three programmer who work primarly with Cx programmer
specifically with the CX one package on two seperate versions mine is version 6.1. anyways when communicating to a processor that already has software loaded and its set to use a specific commport
If you try to change it to a different commport (and you know the commport is available and opened) while offline
regardless of where you try to change the commport settings either from the toolbar or settings on the workspace or from changing the settings under sysmc way when you try to connect it continues to look for the original commport unless you make the change online first.

I better reword the scenario a little more clearly If you know what communication port the software on the processor already had set on it and change the new program to match then you can establish communications and change it while online course that will in turn disconnect you until you attempt to go online with the new settings. The way I worded it earlier may lead to confusion

I have had this problem as well, not sure if it is a glitch though ( someone else will decide that ).

But, in theory, since you are changing the parameters of the port you are communicating with, then it makes sense to change the parameters that you are using to communicate with the CPU.

IMHO, this is why it is better to have 1 port dedicated to a certain function ( host comms ), so that there is always the facility to go online via a serial connection when the need arises.

I know this is not always practical, and not available on all models of PLC either.

The port settings can be reset to default on some models ( maybe all? ) via dip switches as well.

You can change the comm port setting anytime in CPU - Network Type - Driver and the speed anytime you like suddessfully. However, you have to save the project to retain the setting next time you open the project in CX-Programmer. I regularly change between com1 (RS232)and com 6,7,8 etc (Promi bluetooth serial port)

Bob what version are you using as I've tried that route and still get the problem maybe its version dependant

Mordred,

I think you may have mis-understood what bob was saying ( and he will correct me if I am wrong ).

If I understand correctly, you are changing the configuration of the serial port that you are connected to the CPU with, when the port changes its settings, since the settings that you had in CX-Programmer are now different to the port on the PLC that you have your copper connected to, you get a communication error?

If this is the case, then it makes sense that the comms will hang.

IMHO, this is why it is better to have 1 port dedicated to a certain function ( host comms ), so that there is always the facility to go online via a serial connection when the need arises.

Are you able to utilise this with the PLC you have? The other method, is that if you have a ethernet card installed, then you can use both ports ( if available ) for whatever you like, or in Bobs case, controller link cards. If you use a comm card, then your connection will not hang when changing serial port connection properties.

However, when adding or changing modules, you have to have a serial connection available to re-create the IO table.

What bob was saying, is that when he changes his connection path in CX-P, he then saves it as part of that project, I don't think that he changes the comm settings of the PLC reguarly?

What bob was saying, is that when he changes his connection path in CX-P, he then saves it as part of that project, I don't think that he changes the comm settings of the PLC reguarly?

Correct Scott. If I have a Controller Link network for example, I set up Toolbus for comms and "Auto Detect Baud Rate" at 115k. Each PLC then has it's address on the network and only uses the connected PLC as a "bridge". After saving the configuration in the project, I can then plug into any PLC in the network via the peripheral or serial port (usually the peripheral for cable and the serial for Promi Bluetooth serial ports) and, as each PLC has it's network address saved in the project, I pick up the correct PLC every time.

The main time I am likely to change the port number in CX-Programmer is if I have set the system up for Bluetooth and I only have a peripheral cable with me. Then I would have to change from, say, Bluetooth comm port 5 to real serial comm port 1 (hardware comm port in the laptop).

The other thing I have to be carefull about with Bluetooth is that if I have set up 1 PLC for Promi unit comm 5 that I place my comm 5 Promi unit in the correct PLC. Big trouble otherwise if one is foolish enough not to verify the program when first going online. I always do that anyway. Should be the first rule for everyone - VERIFY THE PROGRAM!!!

Hope this clarifies where I am coming from. If not ask a question again.

Should be the first rule for everyone - VERIFY THE PROGRAM!!!

Definitly Bob. CX-Prog prevents any online edits if the version in the CPU does not match the version on the PC.

You can also set an option to 'prohibit the online operation until the PC and PLC data matches', quite useful. I used to use this, but got annoyed after a while when commissioning, so de-selected it.

OK got it I did misunderstand the first time I read it I will give those a shot when I get a moment to run some simulations.