First steps with CX Programmer

Steve Kemp

Hi all. I'm just starting out with CX Programmer... Looks like fun. As an exercise, I'm attempting to translate a bit of an RSLogix program. So, a few questions spring to mind:

What is the CX equivalent of the RSLogix B3-type registers/bits for internal use?

How do I use the value of a counter to drive the source word of, say, the MLPX(076)function?

From the contacts tools bar, I am unable to plant a branched contact around an existing contact by selecting it with the mouse and dropping it onto the rung. It appears that I have to construct the branch from lines; what am I missing?

Is it mandatory for all function blocks to be preceded by a contact?

I think that's enough for now.

Thanks.

1 - What is the CX equivalent of the RSLogix B3-type registers/bits for internal use?

Not too sure what the properties of the AB 'B3' types are, but with Omron, this will depend on the PLC / CPU type that you are using.
If using CS or CJ type, then the W area is non-retained word and bit addressable, H area is retained word and bit addressable, D and E areas are retained word addressable only.

2 - How do I use the value of a counter to drive the source word of, say, the MLPX(076)function?

Not sure quite what you mean by this, so do excuse if this seems a silly answer - just enter Cxxx (where xxx is the counter number). Cxxx is used for the bit address of the counter, as well as the current value. CX-Programmer knows when you are using the bit address or the word address.

3 - From the contacts tools bar, I am unable to plant a branched contact around an existing contact by selecting it with the mouse and dropping it onto the rung. It appears that I have to construct the branch from lines; what am I missing?

Have you expanded the rung by a row first?
i.e. When the cursor is on the (empty)initial square of a rung, pressing return inserts another row within the current rung.

4 - Is it mandatory for all function blocks to be preceded by a contact?

Yes.

Hope this helps

What is the CX equivalent of the RSLogix B3-type registers/bits for internal use?
Yes. CJ1 and CS1 use W but you can use any channel in the memory map that is not being used for I/O.

From the contacts tools bar, I am unable to plant a branched contact around an existing contact by selecting it with the mouse and dropping it onto the rung. It appears that I have to construct the branch from lines; what am I missing?

Have a look in "Tools" - "Keyboard Mapping". You can set CX-Programmer up the way you want it to work. I never use a mouse just function keys. Much quicker and easier. No RSI from drag and drop.

Have fun. It is a very good piece of software. I am using CX-One now - all programs in one. Screens, Device Net Configurator, etc etc. It has CX-Programmer V6.