RX3i CPE 330 Embedded Profinet Port

yorkiiii

Hi I am trying to get my embedded profinet port on a CPE 330 to talk over profinet to some profinet scanners. For some reason when I have both profinet ports (LAN2) filled on the CPE 330 in a ring topology, I lose visibility to that PLC through machine edition over ethernet (LAN1). The weird thing is that I can still ping the IP address of LAN1 but machine edition will not connect. Has anyone run into any problems like this? Would save us alot of money to not have to buy a PNC everytime we need to talk over profinet to remote racks

According to this datasheet that I managed to find the CPE 330 supports MRP (media redundancy protocol). It is not clear if it is MRP client or MRP manager/supervisor, but let's assume it is MRP client. There has to be an MRP supervisor, which I assume this system has one.

What I recommend is to confirm that the configuration for the CPE 330 has the MPR option enabled. In most MRP devices-capable I have used which only have two ports, if the device supports MRP then this functionality is always available. I have never worked with this product so I am not familiar with the configuration software. If you can share the user manual I can have a look at it.

https://www.emerson.com/documents/a...i-cpus-pacsystems--enus-en-6156720.pdf#page=3

20230609_ RX3i_CPE_330.png

Thanks for the reply, I assume that the CPE330 can be the manager as if it can't it would not be an option to select it as the manager (in PNS modules you can only be a client consuming data from the PNC as the manager). It seems to be a more base issue in machine edition as I cannot connect to the PLC when all port are plugged in even when there is no configuration in the CPE330 (I power cycled before to clear logic and hardware config out).

I had a client who used a redundant CPE330 system with Profinet to VersaMax remote I/O drops. The same PLC was connected to a Proficy View HMI and a Quick Panel. No problems connecting PME. We used one IP address range (192.168.1.xxx) for the Profinet I/O and a different range (10.60.1.xxx) for the rest of the ethernet communications.

Thanks for the help guys, I figured out the problem. When powering on, the embedded PNC ring cannot be closed (ie one port on LAN 2 open, one plugged in to the ring). Once you have downloaded the hardware and code configuration to the CPE330 then you can close the profinet ring. I do not know exactly why this is, but it's just the way that GE does it I guess.

Interesting, one of my coworkers just hit the same issue. We too would be interested to know a resolution. Have you contacted Emerson yet?

Thanks for the help guys, I figured out the problem. When powering on, the embedded PNC ring cannot be closed (ie one port on LAN 2 open, one plugged in to the ring). Once you have downloaded the hardware and code configuration to the CPE330 then you can close the profinet ring. I do not know exactly why this is, but it's just the way that GE does it I guess.
OK, I am hypothesizing here.

I understand from your explanation that the redundancy function must be set in the configuration tool. Thus the device can be configured with or without redundancy.

Hence:
1) If the CPE330 system is configured without redundancy, and
2) No other MRP manager is present in the system, and
3) You connect the CPE330 to the ring, then:
You create a loop that will cause a lot of traffic in the CPE330 such that your engineering tool cannot detect it.

The solution of course is to make sure the MRP manager function is enabled in the CPE33.

Very good point, I think that is exactly what is happening! I'll update this post when Emerson eventually gets back to me with their explanation.

Very good point, I think that is exactly what is happening! I'll update this post when Emerson eventually gets back to me with their explanation.
Thanks. Yes please, do so. It feels great having this feedback as one can also learn. And it is also not unlikely that some other member of the forum may find this issue and manages to save a lot of pain and time if he or she finds this post with your solution.

Hello, not closing the ring before MRP is enabled is indeed what also Siemens itself recommends to do. The problem is that without MRP configured, switching loops happen resulting in a kind of "echo" effect for packets. This results in the PLC being overloaded with the traffic and not having enough resources to do the other stuff (such as keeping the engineering connection). I've seen it happen while commissioning another PROFINET PLC (an Emerson CPL410) that was by mistake connected to a network where MRP couldn't work (it was not a simple ring). Lost connection and the CPU even went to STOP. So be careful about this.

Last edited:
Emerson support was absolutely no help in figuring this problem out but I thought I should update on the solution a colleague found. To avoid this problem after the CPU has been powered down, you must write the hardware configuration to flash memory. If you do this then the profinet port remembers that it is configured in MRP style, thus even on power up there is no problems (the only issue with this is we do not like to write to flash thus back to the PNC modules).