Avery Weigh-Tronix - ZM301-SD1/ Looking for an easier manual and understand Loadcell

Cydog

Good Evening ,

I purchased an Avery Weigh-Tronix - ZM301-SD1 to weigh a tote.
The loadcell is a FLS -250. Below is the color code and description of
each lead.

Cable Color Code

+ Excitation Green
- Excitation Black

+ Output White
- Output Red
Shield Bare

I'm confused about these 2 wires .....
+ Output White . I'm used to these being labeled + SEN or + SIG ?
- Output Red and this lead - SEN or - SIG ?

What should + Output White be ? and
What should - Output Red be ?
Shield Bare -

Thanks so much for your help.

You need a strain gauge converter.
Something like this.

That particular one isn't great to use, but it is cheap. On page 7 of the manual, it shows 4-wire and 6-wire connections which should look similar to what you have.

These converters are available as IO modules, I know you can get one for a Siemens ET200SP but it's twice the price and lead times are currently months.

Typically, load cell wirings are:

+EXC RED
-EXC BLK
+SIG GRN
-SIG WHT

These types need an amplifier and converted to analog signals where you can feed into the PLC analog input card.

But some load cells with +OUT and -OUT can feed directly to an analog input card.

I believe the ZM301-SD1 have EDS file, that means with a Rockwell PLC you can connect to them via Ethernet/IP.

Thanks . What I can't believe is I can't find a wiring diagram in the Avery ZM 301-SD1 User Manual .

Why would Avery not put this in their manual? That alone , tells me to never but an Avery Weigh Scale again.

I can't even find a wiring diagram nowhere on the internet . Even the terminal
blocks are not marked , or the individual terminals .

Would you folks have any links to a wiring diagram ?

Thanks so much ,

Ahhh just realised I misread the original post. The Avery unit is the converter.

The manual just says "no user serviceable parts" under the installation section, so looks like they're wanting to charge you for connecting it up which sounds like a massive headache that you wouldn't get with another manufacturer.

I agree . I kind of thought a integrator would prepare their own drawing , and make it available .

Incredible .

Thanks ,