PanelView 5510: How to enable VNC on startup

ryangriggs

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, I am dealing with a AB PanelView 5510 device which needs to be accessible via VNC (local only, NO internet access!).

To enable the VNC server, I must physically go to the unit, enter the Settings menu, and activate the VNC server.

If the unit is rebooted or power-cycled, the VNC server is again disabled, which is a big problem if nobody is onsite to re-enable it.

The system exposes a local tag, ::Local:HMIDevice.VNCServer.AccessMode, which allows the current VNC mode to be viewed and changed. To change the mode, a string is assigned to this tag, from the following list: "off" = disable VNC, "view" = allow view-only, and "full" = allow full VNC access.

I thought it would be a simple matter to set a Process Event which evaluates every 30 seconds, to check the following condition:
Code:
::Local:HMIDevice.VNCServer.AccessMode != "full"
, and if this condition evaluates to True, it can execute a Value Event to set the value of this tag to "full".

However, this simply doesn't work, for some unknown reason.

I added a text display on the screen to show the value of the tag. It starts with the value "off" and never changes.

I tried replacing the ExecuteWhen tag check with a simple number 1, setting the Evaluation Time to 30 seconds, with the hope that every 30 seconds it would simply set the value to "full", but even this doesn't work.

Below are screenshots of the Project Event.

Here is a link to the manual. Page 709 discusses VNC tags.

If anyone has any ideas why this isn't working, I would be very grateful.

5fpe

5fpf

I’m really curious about this, I am commissioning my first panelview 5300 and this seems interesting. Did you find a solution?

There is a technote that RA put out with a function that hides the VNC acces in the banner sonon start up it will run. Not great option but it does work.

I use this method;

vnc start 1.jpg
vnc start 2.jpg

vnc start 3.jpg

Clunky, but it works. Except after a HMI download, then the xForcePowerUpTask come in handy. If you find a better way let me know!

It's latched through Studio5000, right click and toggle the bit. The unlatch is only there to save the programmer the bother of turning the bit off AND to be sure it doesn't get left on.

The only time it's really needed is to turn on the VNC after an HMI download. I couldn't think of a way to automate this.

I've done a number of these. Rockwell, why not have a selection that leaves VNC either permanently on or off?

I'm using this Project Event that works ok. No PLC code required.

The ::Local:HMIDevice.Display.BlinkMedium tag is used to periodically execute the Project Event.
If the VNC Access Mode is not Full, the Event sets VNC Access Mode to Full.

Project Event VNC On.png Project Event VNC On Properties.png Project Event VNC On Event.png

The Project Event has worked flawlessly for me as well. So far on the PV5000, VNC has been very straightforward.

Aren't you glad it's not Flash or Silverlight ?

I've done a number of these. Rockwell, why not have a selection that leaves VNC either permanently on or off?

I'm using this Project Event that works ok. No PLC code required.

The ::Local:HMIDevice.Display.BlinkMedium tag is used to periodically execute the Project Event.
If the VNC Access Mode is not Full, the Event sets VNC Access Mode to Full.

Much better than my version thanks!

I think the early View Designer didn't have project events so events had to be triggered from hidden objects 'flashing' from a PLC bit.