Kinetix 300 Enable/run mode

tjntjntjn

Hello,

I have a problem with Kinetix 300. One, small machine (cake cutter) has two Kinetix 300 drives to spin the cakes (one drive - one cake) when it gets cut. When the cycle starts and both drives receive/get 24V to "enable input signal" (29) one drive starts and runs as it should but the other goes off in a split second. I mean I can see that little "drive enable dot" on the little HMI come on for a split second and than it goes off. Drive stays disable even though terminal 29 never lose voltage. I checked faults in MotionView and there is nothing. No faults.
However, after troubleshooting for some time I found out that it's the Ethernet cable connected to RJ45 port that causes all this. When I unplug the cable the drive stays enable for as long as input 29 has 24V.
Just to be clear, there aren't any instructions, zero, nothing written for that drive in the program, so there is no way anything can keep the drive in disable state. I removed that module from the program and drive stays on even with Ethernet cable connected. When I add the module/drive to the program and connect the cable same thing. Drive goes off after split second.
Is it bad drive? Should I replace it or some of the parameters could cause this?

Thanks

There may be no ladder logic but there's almost certainly some configuration parameters.

When you add the device to the tree, you assign it to an axis. Within that axis setup, you will probably find some parameters causing this behaviour.

I've not used the Kinetix 300, but if I was to bet a six pack of may favourite craft beer, I'd suggest that the default setting is "terminal 29 = enable", and that your axis has a parameter that says the enable comes from Ethernet/IP instead of terminal 29. So, you power up the drive, it does a quick scan of it's I/O and determines that its enable input is on, and then a moment later the PLC connects to it via ethernet, sends the configuration, and the drive now (correctly) reports that it has no enable, because there's no enable written into the PLC ladder logic.

No, you don't assign Kinetix 300 to an axis. Kinetix 300 has "very limited options" when it comes to motion and it actually does not support ladder Logix motion instructions. 350 supports full motion instructions.
In the program in monitor tags, Drive enable input over ethernet has value 0 (NAME:I.DriveEn=0)

Ah, right. As I said, I've not used the Kinetix 300. There goes my beer.

Still, that sounds like broadly the same concept to me - when the Kinetix is not connected to the PLC it just needs to see the enable from terminal 29. Once the PLC connects to it, it's sending it Enable = 0 and overriding the digital input.

What happens if you simply write a 1 to NAME:I.DriveEn? You don't have to do that in ladder logic, just change the value of the tag in the tag monitor

I've compared every that has been automatically created when adding module to the program tag (for both drives) and they all have the same values, so I guess I'll get new drive and will try that.
However, if anyone else has other suggestions I will really appreciate it.

Thank you

Examine the configuration of both drives, specifically the Function configured for the IN_A3 input terminal.

If the Function is configured for "Run", and you have an EtherNet/IP connection, then the DriveEn bit in the Logix program needs to be kept =1 for the IN_A3 input to cause the servo to Run.

If the Function is configured for "Inhibit", then the Logix program is what starts and stops the drive, as long as the IN_A3 remains physically logic high. There will be quite a bit of Fault 43 handling code if that's the mode that is chosen.

Also double-check and be sure the drive is not still set for Auto-Tune mode (like it got canceled mid-process).

Also double-check and be sure that you don't have a parameter in the Output assembly that includes something like the drive_reset parameter, which could be functionally stopping the drive any time it starts.

I had issue similar to this when supplying the drive with external 24vdc supply to the two pin terminal on the front of the drive. Remove this plug and feed the drive with 480v from line side power and it works fine

I had issue similar to this when supplying the drive with external 24vdc supply to the two pin terminal on the front of the drive. Remove this plug and feed the drive with 480v from line side power and it works fine

What? You supplied 480 to 24V terminal and drive worked? I would never do that. Doesn't sound right

It happened to be Drive enable output/tag in the program. For some reason it would become high for one drive but not the other. I change the tag to 1 and also made a rung that keeps drive enable output high for both drives and it works.
Thank you everybody for help.
Thank you Ken