KepserverEx

RonB

Does anyone know if it's possible, or the best way to go about adding a generic/ placeholder/ empty/ dummy tag to kepware?

I used auto tag generation to create all of the tags available on the PLC, but when we are connecting to Kepware to retrieve data the application is looking for a specific tag that doesn't exist. It's not essential to the process and can be null or blank.

I've looked through the advanced tag manual, but maybe I'm not using the correct terminology or such an option doesn't exist. If anyone can share their knowledge I would certainly appreciate it.

I should have given a little more background information, for that I'm sorry. Pulled in umpteen directions. :)

The array we are pulling data from is around 20,000 total, with 20 items in each.
Array[1].info1
Array[1].info2...20
Array[20000].info1
In each array I need an additional dummy tag.
Array[1].info21DummyTag
Array[20000].info21DummyTag
Hopefully, that clarifies a bit. I don't want to take up the additional space in the PLC by creating 20,000 empty tags and wondering if there's a way to bypass that scenario and create it inside Kepware.

How about creating one dummy tag in the PLC and pointing all of your dummy Kepware tags at it? Pretty sure Kepware would allow you to do that.

Edit - well I didn't read the later post from you so disregard what I posted before.

Can all the dummy tags be directed to a single dummy tag?

For that matter can't you just eliminate the need for it? 20k useless tags per array seems like an issue worth fixing.

Last edited:
Tell me about it. The problem comes into play when you have plant A-Z
Between A-Z they have a "standard list" of tags that the application is setup to collect, even if the values are null it still looks for them to be present. *Yes, it would be much easier if the tags it fetches were built from a dynamic list but there's not much sense to growl. It is how it is on the app side*
Long story short. Or maybe longer... :)
*A-D Collects*
Plant #
Id of the chain/Trolley
Weight
PH Value
*E-Z Collects*
Plant #
Id of the chain/Trolley
Weight
but since it's a one size fits all, due to the application being deployed in multiple plants and SQL DB replication up to a main server. I get the need for some standardization, but at the same time at the current plant I'm working at we have had to implement 4 additional tags into each array based on a standard dataset (even though they are all 4 null at this particular plant) It's a huge waste in resources.
What I would like to do is create them in Kepware only to save space in the PLC. The naming convention would have to match the arrays they would normally be inside of though since the application collects from 1 array and then increments to the second and so on.

Copy that - I get it now. I assume there is no way to get the devs to modify the app to test "PH Value" for null and then paste a known value into DB if found ... That of course would be a more elegant fix but harder to get pushed up the food chain.

Looks like arrays (or even elements) in the Kepware SIM driver are limited to 10K elements per device so you might have to create them in multiple devices per channel... Oh man that's giving me a headache

Definitely, I was hoping originally to write a script to accomplish this or use some of notepadd++'s built in features. Not really seeing a great way to go about it though so may have to continue with the original plan and save everyone the tylenol :)
As far as up the food chain... not likely, but I will keep the struggle alive.