AB PVP remote access

Hi all, i am running a PVP1000. The details are as follows:

CAT: 2711p-rp6

Firmware: 5.00.04.55 (CPR9)

CAT.jpg

I bought this version of PVP logic module because it has Windows CE installed.

My goal is to control the HMI from a PC or an ipad using VNC viewer.

Problem is, the logic module i purchased does not have VNC installed, even though it has Windows CE installed.

I have noticed that it has remote desktop available. At this stage, i get the impression my only option is to control the HMI via PC using Windows 7 Pro using Remote Access.

Desktop.jpg

Remote Desktop.jpg

This means i will not be able to control the unit using an ipad.

Is this correct?

Do i have any options? Such as installing another program into the PVP, (can this even be done? if so how?). What about updating the firmware? Will a newer firmware version have VNC in it?

What i have attempted so far:

1. followed instructions from this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8_GAzgqeyU&t=188s

2. Opened control panel looking for server config. This does not appear to exist.

control panel.jpg

memory.jpg

3. Downloaded a copy of VNC and Teamviewer using a different computer and saved on a memory stick. Plugged memory stick into PVP. PVP can see memory stick, but cannot see any of the programs. This may be the memory stick format may not match the very old version of windows in the PVP. It could be PVP does not allow reading memory sticks? Advice?

Last edited:
Another option you should consider is FactoryTalk ViewPoint.
This will allow using a web browser to control you PVP HMI.
You will need to firmware update your PVP to 5.1 or newer.
You will also need to enable ViewPoint within your .mer runtime.

edit: this link should help sorting out version compatibility.
https://compatibility.rockwellautom...900,52446,51488,50907,50336,50337,50381,50380

Manual: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/ftvp-qs002_-en-e.pdf

Last edited:

Hi KK. Thank you for the response.

I have tried and tried viewpoint using my previous PVP1000. This version did not have windows included. I check the viewpoint box when i create the runtime application. I get errors when i create the runtime application. I did not fully understand these errors. But the .mer file is created. I am able to download the .mer file and run the applicaiton. I open the web browser using the PVP IP address. I am unable to connect. I would be happy to try this out again with the new unit. I suspect those errors have something to do with the issues i am having.

To confirm, Viewpoint is installed natively with the FTView ME? I am running FTView ME, Ver 11.

Hi all, i am running a PVP1000. The details are as follows:

CAT: 2711p-rp6

Firmware: 5.00.04.55 (CPR9)

For FTViewPoint you need at least 5.10 firmware.
Also the PVP needs minimum 128MB of memory.
There are other setting options that I can't remember but review the manual I linked in the previous post should help.

For FTViewPoint you need at least 5.10 firmware.
Also the PVP needs minimum 128MB of memory.

The PVP i tried using Viewpoint with (not this PVP) had 5.10 firmware. I do not know how much memory it had.

The new device looks like it would have 128MB. It says a number around 103MB, so i take it that is has 128MB Ram card installed. I have not yet tried viewpoint on this one. I will try on this.

Last edited:
Well... i made a few attempts to update the firmware. For some reason i had a lot of trouble.

1. I downloaded firmware V5.10.11 from rockwell.
2. Firmware update wizard (FUW)
3. i was able to identify my PVP, but FUW could not find a matching firmware.
4. This confused me because i definitely downloaded the firmware for CAT 2711p, which is of course the CAT for my device.
5. I thought maybe i should try installing using a memory stick.
6. I was having trouble doing this too.
7. This was becoming very confusing because i very recenly updated another PVP using this exact same computer.
8. So i thought maybe i should try using the Panelview File transfer utility.
9. I attempted to access the screen with the transfer utility.
10. First i tried pressing the white square. No good. It just rebotted to the configuration screen.
12. So i did what will haunt me for the next week as i spend countless hours trying to undo. I pressed the Default and Reset buttons on the logic module.

Reason why i tried this step is explained here:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=113674

13. When the system booted up, there is no longer a white box in the corner.
14. A series of errors occurred.

Continue in next post

Last edited:
Runtime Frame Object.jpg

I reviewed some possible solutions for the multiple errors.

I found a previous PLCTalk thread that referenced "Failed to create Runtime frame object" Error:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=21668

But even if i was able to resolve this single problem there are still multiple other errors to resolve.

Basically i think i have proper corrupted this PVP and i now would very much like to reset to factory settings.

Problem now is, I have no idea how i can do that when i cannot communicate with the PVP (This is like groundhog day, just a different PVP).

I have had some success.

Learnt a lot about PVP CE firmware updates in the process.

I will record some of the key learnings here for those future users who find this thread due to having the same experience.

1. How i initially corrupted my firmware was that the Firware Upgrad Wizard (FUW) i attempted to use was not compatible with the PVP 500-1500 series. It is only compatible with PVP 6 and PVP7. Maybe others too, but i do not know them. The FUW i was using is installed with FTView Studio V11. The FUW i used that worked was installed with FTView Studio V6. I do not know from which FTView version is incompatible, but it will of course fall between these two versions.

2. Solution. Fired up the old PVP6 running on an old Windows XP computer. Opened FUW. Downloaded the requisit firmware, in my case for CAT 2711p, Firmware V 5.10.16.

3. Downloaded firmware is zipped. Unzip to a .exe file.

4. Needs to be compiled into a .FUP file. This is achieved by simply openening the .exe file. Opening the .exe file must be done on the same computer with the compatible version of FTView installed.

5. Open FUW, Create firmware upgrade card. Follow the prompts until complete. The memory drive needs to be formatted to FAT32.

6. Insert memery drive into the PVP CE. Wait approximately 10 seconds for a firmware update window to appear.

7. Follow the promts.

8. When the firmware update is complete, the PVP will reboot to the windows desktop screen.

9. Double click on FTView ME station to enter into the configuration page.

10. Navigate through the configuration page to configure network settings.

11. Download runtime file (.mer) to the PVP.

Now that i have updated to the latest PVP CE firmware, i can continue my goal of achieving remote access to my PVP, which was the original purpose of this thread.

This will allow using a web browser to control you PVP HMI.

As written upbove, my system is now back up and running.

With PVPCE firmware V5.10.16 installed, i am now able to create and view FTViewpoint with some major limitations.

FTVP.png

Notes for future users. I am using FTView V11, PVP CE. I have found that i must use Windows Explorer with Microsoft Silverlight installed in my PC. It is possible that later versions of FTView and PVP will have less limitations, but this is the current status of my system. Viewpoint will not work natively on Chrome. I understand an internet explorer extension may be added to chrome and it will work, but i have opted to simply use IE.

I am now able to open and view FTViewpoint. I can navigate between screens. This image shows the "menu" button highlighted, this is a button i am able to use.

menu button.png

I can also use all the "go to" buttons. Basically i can view all my screens. But i cannot use any other function. Basucally i cannot control anything. I cannot input any variables.

action button.png

Notice in this image that the button is not highlighted like the last image. This is because i am not able to use this function. Same goes for all functions on every screen.

I suspected this may be because i did not configure my Viewpoint Administration security settings. But i believe i configured these settings correctly.

Viepoint security.png

I checked, created a new runtime, downloaded. Still the same.

I opened FTVP configuration page again and this time i unchecked the "enable Application Security", so theoretically there should be no limitations on what can be done.

No change. Still cannot "write" to the page. Read Only.

It is as if the security settings have disabled the "write" functionality.

Any suggestions?