Factory Talk Linx communication error

rhysplc

Hi all,

I have a studio 5000 program running & downloaded to a compact logix l24er.

Have decided to make a small hmi screen with a few pumps and valves on.
I want to link the factory talk and the studio 5000 program together so I can use the tags created in studio 5000 to link with factorytalk images etc.

From my understanding I need to go into "communication setup" in FT studio. However I keep getting this error message. (shown in picture)

I have been through some existing threads for solutions, but most are from a few years back. still no luck.

Also every time I open FT studio I get this error prompt saying "An internal error has occurred. you must close FactoryTalk View and stop the FactoryTalk Linx service before continuing. Failed to find the topology node in the configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hello, I do not see the picture,

What version are you using?

Download and install any Roll-up patch, they are at Aug, Sept not released yet.

If that doesn't work, uninstall all the software for View Studio, download ver 12, and the Roll-up patch.

What is the OS?

Running v.12.00 FT ME.

The error message on communications setup shows this:

I only have Machine edition as my company does not use SE if this is where I am going wrong?

Picture1.png

Hard to see the picture. it reads

"unable to communicate with the factorytalk linx server "localhost"

-verify the server name is correct
-verify te server's host computer is running (server says its running on FT)
-verify ethernet cable is plugged in.

Running v.12.00 FT ME.

The error message on communications setup shows this:

I only have Machine edition as my company does not use SE if this is where I am going wrong?

I can not see the details of the picture.

ME and ME Station should work, or even the play button or test application.

I see windows 10?

Did you do the Patch Roll-up?

Delete the Server (right click on FactoryTalk Linx ---> Delete), and add it back in.

I have to ask, have you rebooted?

There is a huge tech note for your errors. ID: BF16127 | Access Levels: TechConnect

UAC disabled?

Hi Yes, Windows 10, just done the newest patch update from rockwell.

Just deleted the server and still getting the same errors.
I do not have RSLinx Enterprise on my PC.

You'll have to forgive me I am very new to rockwell and PLC in general.

Could you explain what you meant from below:

"There is a huge tech note for your errors. ID: BF16127 | Access Levels: TechConnect

UAC disabled?"

Thanks in advance

UAC disabled?"

Thanks in advance

Lowering UAC to the lowest setting is the "solution" to many problems.

FYI, FactoryTalk Linx used to be called RSLinx Enterprise. About every decade, they like to rename things, just to keep it interesting.

Edit: Do you have a tech connect contract rhysplc? PM me

Last edited:

"There is a huge tech note for your errors. ID: BF16127 | Access Levels: TechConnect

UAC disabled?"

Thanks in advance

Tech Note is from the Rockwell Knowledgebase and holds solutions to common problems, but you need a support contract to access the KB.

Google UAC, it is basically anti-virus and anti-malware and prevents virus's from changing your computer settings without your permission.

Rockwell software doesn't work well with UAC.

Honestly what you are experiencing is not normal. I would recommend a clean OS, and reinstall View Studio and do the roll-up patches.

UAC disabled?"

Thanks in advance

The other "biggie" is that you are local admin on your login!!!