SIMATIC S7-1500 Software Controller

kb9ttx

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to find information on the announced "SIMATIC S7-1500 Software Controller".

Other than this link: http://w3.siemens.com/mcms/programm...7-1500-software-controller/Pages/Default.aspx

The link above suggests that we would be able to replace WinAC with it and that it would allegedly include "all" of the S7-1500/TIA Portal features.

I cannot find anymore information on it. Specifically, I would like to find out when it is available. Part numbers, software bundles, etc. A manual to read would be nice too.

I've contacted our Siemens engineer and am waiting for a reply.

I am wondering if anyone here might be able to speak to the S7-1500 Software Controller?

All I know is that is is released on the S7-1515 SP Open Controller.
See my previous thread.
Looks good, but one important missing bit is the safety PLC option.

There are hints several places about the open controller software coming as a standalone product, but it seems not to be released yet.

Jesper is correct; as far as I know, it is only released as a part of the 1515sp PC, which is a PC based system preinstalled with the 1500 Open controller, but in the ET200SP form factor. It can use the ET200SP io in the backplane. Hopefully the Software controller will be released as a standalone product.

https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/us/Catalog/Products/10252973

If you search for it on the Siemens support site, I know there are a number of manuals loaded there, both for the 1515sp and the software controller.

Interesting. I saw the post on the 1515sp but this appears to be slightly different. The Siemens website says that the SIMATIC S7-1500 Software Controller is "Free scalability over the whole IPC product range" implying that it is not tied down to the 1515sp. I will look at the 1515sp on the mall but I don't think this is the same thing...

Interesting. I saw the post on the 1515sp but this appears to be slightly different. The Siemens website says that the SIMATIC S7-1500 Software Controller is "Free scalability over the whole IPC product range" implying that it is not tied down to the 1515sp. I will look at the 1515sp on the mall but I don't think this is the same thing...

It isn't the same thing, but it is related. The 1515sp is a Siemens IPC that comes with the 1500 software controller pre-installed. Currently, this is the only way to get it.

I assume that the 1500 software controller will be sold on its own eventually (so it can be installed on any PC), but I don't think it is available yet.

mk42... Thanks for your help. I was able to find that the 1515SP uses the CPU 1505S. The CPU 1507S is used meant to be used on the IPCs.

“Install the CPU 1507S with article number 6ES7 672-7AC00-0YA0 on a SIMATIC IPC. This CPU variant must be installed on a SIMATIC IPC. This SIMATIC IPC must meet the system requirements.” ...from a manual that I found on the mall.

Doesn't look like failsafe is available nor the use of OPC-UA... not sure.
Anyway, thank you for your help.

Doesn't look like failsafe is available nor the use of OPC-UA
That is actually a good question that I also would like to have answered.
Asked in another way: How does Simatic Net interface with the open controller, since it is running in parallel with Windows.
Would be perfect if OPC UA was supported directly in the controller itself.

Would be perfect if OPC UA was supported directly in the controller itself.

This is a little off topic, but I've always thought that OPC UA should run out of the PLC (though probably off by default), whether it is a "normal" controller or soft. Now that OPC isn't tied to Windows, there is really no reason (except the ever important licensing money) to require separate software to make that data available. I see value in having a seperate OPC server as a data concentrator, or to minimize the network load to the PLC from many OPC clients, but I think vendors will start supporting it in the PLC more and more.

I just hope they have sane security options included when they do....

Doesn't look like failsafe is available nor the use of OPC-UA... not sure.

Not sure about OPC-UA, but that could be true. I agree there is no failsafe version yet. The other main feature I've seen missing is part of the ODK (Open Development Kit), which gave you the ability to write windows code that communicated with or was called from WinAC.

The 1500 soft controller, at least so far, appears to support only two of the three ODK options that WinAC supported. You can write C code that is called from the controller (in windows OR realtime, which is interesting), but you can't share memory between the PLC and windows code. This is something I'd seen used in a number of applications, so I hope it gets added back in eventually.

I am sure that if the OPC UA does run on the controller itself, you will have to install a license for it.
But that would be OK by me. Just being able to ditch an intermediary PC will be a big plus.