Siemens Step7 Micro/WIN software for programming an S7-200 PLC

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an opportunity to quote an HMI project for one of my customers. It's a small project, and the customer is not the type with deep pockets. Business is a little slow, and I'd love to do it, but I'm stuck on the Siemen's PLC programming software.

I'm hoping to find a copy of the Siemens Step7 Micro/WIN software for programming an S7-200 PLC. A lot of copies were given away free from Siemens reps in the past. I've talked with my MN Siemens rep and I guess I don't do enough business with them to get that kind of perk. Either that or he can't find a copy.

I'm just trying to access the PLC's ladder and address a couple of outputs for alarms. I have the files and a print-out of the ladder. I still need to confirm the file can be opened, and then make the additions and download. I've seen the programming cable on Ebay for $30.

Siemens does things a little differently than Allen Bradley, or the 61131-3 programming I've done in the past. I'm hoping to get a copy of the Siemens software to spend some quality time with. I don't know if I'll ever have an opportunity to program another S7-200, so I'm a little hesitant to invest a lot of money into this. Still, I'm too much of a geek not to want to know how.

I have either Windows 7, or VMWare running XP.

Does anyone know how to get a really cheap or free copy of the software?