Help with importing tags from logix5000 to factorytalk studio.

I am assuming you are using FactoryTalk View ME and not View SE.

The only reason I can think why this would be necessary is if you need HMI tags for alarming. And only tags to be monitored for alarms would need to be created. Other than that, there is no reason to import these tags. It is redundant. The PVP can directly read and write tags in the controller without the need to create HMI tags.

Now, lets go on the assumption that you are trying to create HMI tags because you need to monitor them for alarms. Because again, any other reason is a waste of time.

Rockwell does have a Tech NoteQA2997
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/45926

This Tech Note requires that you have a TechConnect subscription. I do not see where it is available without one. In this Tech Note there is a utility called the RSLogix5000 Tag Import Tool. It also contains instructions on how to use the tool. The instructions are OK up to a point and then you are sort of on your own.

Essentially you have to go through a couple steps to make this work.
  1. Install the utility
  2. Open RSLogix/Studio 5000 and export (Save As) the application as a .L5K format
  3. Run the utility to select the L5K file and filter just the tags you want to import. You don't want to import every tag as that can get you into the thousands of tags
  4. Save the results as a .CSV format file
  5. Use the FactoryTalk View Tag Import and Export Wizard and use the "Import FactoryTalk View tag CSV file" option
  6. In that tool select the FT application to import into and the CSV file containing the tags to be imported

Here is a direct link to the the utility. But it may require you to login with an account that has TechConnect access. Otherwise you'll see a page telling you it isn't viewable.
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/ci/okcsFattach/get/45926_6

Oh and one last item...This tool does not work with FT View SE. Only ME.

OG