Cimplicity Machine Edition - GE Fanuc CPU 372

Tresco-oz

I'm currently working on a new project that has been specified with a GE Fanuc IC693CPU372 PLUS CPU module. I already have version 5.0 of Cimplicity Machine Edition Logic Developer PLC - however the software apparently does not support this version CPU, I have been advised that I must upgrade to V6.0 (@ $1000).

I don't like being railroaded into an upgrade..
Anyone else had this sort of problem with GE ?
Is there any way around it ?

Resolution is going to depend on your relationship with your local supplier. You need a version of Machine Edition where your CPU model appears in hardware configuration.

Had you been maintaining your subscription since your initial purchase of the software, you would have been getting upgrades regularly. Even though you didn't, the cost of a new one-year subscription may turn out to be less than the cost of a new license.

You need to talk to your local supplier to figure out your options.

CPU 372 is also supported in ME 5.8 (maybe 5.7 also).
If you can get a ME 5.8 from your supplier just the trial disk, not the license... no one will tell, but for me it is working with the old 5.0 license... that should solve the problem.
ME 6.0 i think works with a usb dongle... so nothing to do there.

another solution, is if you get 5.8, make with the 4 days trial the hw configuration, and then continue to work with 5.0 for the logic. that also worked for us. we have a plant where they have only ME 4.0 so we make with 4.0 the PLC logic, and with our 5.8 the HW configuration.

I hope this help you.

Thanks for the info Steve & Sapoleon
How do the upgrades work - are you only entitled to an upgrade if you pay the subscription, or are minor upgrades free ?

Most people purchase the software with a one-year subscription which entitles them to any upgrades that come out during that year. The subscription can be renewed annually. It may also be possible to revive a lapsed subscription. I haven't worked for a distributor for several years, so I don't the current rules. Further more, the rules in Oz may be different than those in the States. That's why you need to talk to your local supplier.

Minor tweaks to the software tp correct bugs are covered by SIMs and SPs. Those can be downloaded from the support site. If a revision is significant enough to get a version number, you need to be in subscription to get it.