CSA Certification for Robots

kckku

We have a new electrical safety inspector and he's asking us to show the CSA sticker for our SCARA robot controllers. We have never been asked this before so it caught us by surprise. We have been using the same robots for over ten years and nobody has asked us this.

We didn't think it would be an issue since the robots are sold all over the world and are readily available in North America. We also use the same robots down in a plant in the U.S. and they have never had issues with local electrical inspection.

My question is how is this supposed to work? When we asked our robot supplier, they told us that they don't have a CSA sticker. They tell us that the robot is typically certified as a system with the main panel.

I also looked up other robot manufacturers and I can't find any documentation saying CSA, CE, or UL certifications.

How is this problem usually handled? I am not sure how this needs to be handled. Go back and argue with the inspector?

Any electrical components in Canada must be approved. Regardless whether it's stand-alone or part of an assembly. Any robot supplier selling product in Canada should have their bases covered on that.
All that to said, I have limited experience with robots.

So is it my inspector that doesn't know what he's talking about? I don't think people here have run into this type of problem before? Meaning the robots don't need a CSA or UL sticker.

I also managed to find a note for one robot type in the manual. It specifically says the robot is not a complete system so therefore doesn't need CE marking. Is the situation the same then here in North America? This means the local electrical authority needs to look at the entire system /main panel and whatever is feeding the robot?