AB Panelview Plus 1000

Padraic

Hi everyone, I've been tasked with creating a basic HMI for commissioning purposes for two pumps on a AB Panelview Plus 1000, 2711PRDT10C.
I have created a few HMI's in the past with View Studio and runtime on Machine Edition.

As that was a long time ago, I have to install new AB Studio software on a new laptop.
My question is do I need to install a certain version of the software based on the firmware version of the AB Panelview Plus 1000?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

Padraic,

if you install the latest version of software, when you come to create the runtime for the panelview, you can create it at whatever version you need.

So if you install V12, then you can create runtimes all the way down to V6 if memory serves me correct.

Or you could flash the panelview to V12.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

As a side note, 2711P-RDT10C is the model # for just the display module from what I can tell.

Short answer: You should be able to use the most recent version you have access to, as long as you install the latest patches. Newer versions of Studio can create files for older firmware levels (as long as you don't use features that weren't supported by them).

From that part number I think this is an original Panelview Plus which means it cannot be flashed to v6 (or higher). Most newer versions of Studio don't support anything above v5/v5.1 (and need to be patched for pre-v6), so if this is a pre-v6 model you'll want to flash the panel's firmware as high as you can get it.

If it's actually a Panelview Plus 6 (meaning it has a firmware v6 or higher) then you should be able to just create the .mer file at your desired firmware level without issues even in the newest Studio versions (or flash the firmware upward if you prefer).

*EDIT*
tl;dr

If the panel firmware is v6 or higher, you're in great shape

If the panel firmware is v5 or v5.1, then if you install v12 or v13 Studio you'll need to patch it as well.

If the panel firmware is pre v5, then older versions of Studio *may* support it, but you're likely better off just flashing the panel to v5 and then installing (& patching) a newer version of Studio.

Last edited:
@plvlce is right: the 2711P-RDT10C is the display portion of an older PV+, pre v6. As I recall, he's also right about the PV+'s firmware version being limited to 5.x. I have an old Windows XP virtual machine running FT View Studio v5.1, which I keep handy for just this sort of thing. If you don't already have that software, your distributor may be able to help.

Edited to add:
I just remembered being able to replace the logic module of the older PV+ to turn it into a PV+6. To be really sure what you have, look for other labels on the unit. If you have a v6 or higher logic module, you have more options.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the advice.
I don't have any more details of the Panelview firmware until I get to it tomorrow. I do have an old version of view studio on a VMware so may have to use that.

realistically to work with any older panelview plus that only goes up to v5.1, all you need is at the highest, Factorytalk View v12 (With the rollup patch allowing for 5.1 version creation).

If you don't do the rollup, then v11 will do 5.1.

you can create the Runtime files for the 5.1 with the newer versions just fine. Like Plvlce mentioned also, just patch the PV up to the latest 5.1 firmware and it will work fine.

the newest V13 Factorytalk says it no longer supports creating Runtimes back to 5.1, so I wouldn't bother using it unless you run into something newer right now. I have a feeling V13 is going to end up being one of those lesser used versions unless someone bought from a corporate machine that keeps all software 100% updated.

Last edited:
Supposedly v13 can also be patched to support creating 5.0 and 5.1 (see this technote).

Problem
The ability to create version 5.00 and version 5.10 runtime files (.mer) from the FactoryTalk View Studio environment was removed in version 13.00.

says this on the link.

it may have been the opposite at one point for sure though.

I have no doubt that V13 would be able to make 5.0-5.1 MER if they didn't remove the feature. Similarly when you make something far enough back you get the "don't allow for conversion" as the only option.... but it's not because it can't be converted, it's been locked out by rockwell and it's still possible to use the application manager to convert them if you know how.

Last edited:
it may have been the opposite at one point for sure though.
Yes, at release v13 did not support creation of v5 files. It was the same way with v12 -- release did not support it, then a later patch added it in.

c.f. this thread from last April for this exact issue in v12

Quite clearly Rockwell would prefer to no longer be supporting the pre-6 Panelview Plus line.

Yes, at release v13 did not support creation of v5 files. It was the same way with v12 -- release did not support it, then a later patch added it in.

c.f. this thread from last April for this exact issue in v12

Quite clearly Rockwell would prefer to no longer be supporting the pre-6 Panelview Plus line.

interesting, so V13 is allowed to make 5.1 runtimes now too?

interesting, so V13 is allowed to make 5.1 runtimes now too?
The patch in the technote I linked is stated as a 'fix' for the problem of inability to create 5.00 and 5.10 files so I assume once patched you can create both.

I haven't upgraded to v13 myself so I can't speak for it personally though.

The patch in the technote I linked is stated as a 'fix' for the problem of inability to create 5.00 and 5.10 files so I assume once patched you can create both.

I haven't upgraded to v13 myself so I can't speak for it personally though.

Thanks, I must have hit the wrong link, I only saw the original technote for the v13. It is funny that in V12 when you choose a 5.1 it explicitly states in a dialogue box that v12 will be the last version to allow conversion that low. I guess times change and money talks.

Hmmmm....I did not know that the newest versions could compile all the way back to v5. Is there a relatively easy way to migrate a project file (apa) from the older versions to newer? I remember there were big issues when going from 32 bit to 64 bit Windows. Has that been streamlined at all?

Every time I consider going back to work for Rockwell as a remote support engineer I also have to evaluate the risk that I will be karmically punished by having to support the PanelView Plus from 2003-2010 a second time.

Hmmmm....I did not know that the newest versions could compile all the way back to v5. Is there a relatively easy way to migrate a project file (apa) from the older versions to newer? I remember there were big issues when going from 32 bit to 64 bit Windows. Has that been streamlined at all?

I've migrated a few project from rsview 5 to factorytalk v11 on 64 bit, and havent found any problems yet.