Dead L16

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Had a callout today, machine I built in 2019 (Feb) with a 1769-L16ER-BB1b. Major fault, local IO module (there is no point attached). Reset major fault, changed from remote prog to remote run and it said "the controller acknowledged your request for a transition to Run mode, but it has not completed the transition".

Manually flicked to run mode, still wouldn't go into it, no lights on IO.

Worth repairing? Has anyone seen this before?

(there is no point attached)

I tried to get the cover off but couldn't (didn't want to crack it), but looking through the side cover vents it looks like a small daughterboard going to the main board.

To clarify, I'm referring to the 16 in/out on the PLC that has the 8x push-in black/orange connectors on the front.

Had a callout today, machine I built in 2019 (Feb) with a 1769-L16ER-BB1b. Major fault, local IO module (there is no point attached). Reset major fault, changed from remote prog to remote run and it said "the controller acknowledged your request for a transition to Run mode, but it has not completed the transition".

Worth repairing? Has anyone seen this before?
Hello I Have the same problem with a L18 and have talked to tech support and the only thing they could advise is to reflash the controller. I did this multiple times with no luck. I also took it apart and reseated the boards and seen no short damage. I believe the controllers main operating program is corrupted but since these controllers do not have a battery that you can disconnect to wipe the the processor we are out of luck. I imagine it would cost a considerable amount to send it to Rockwell for a repair and they might even just turn around and tell you it is trashed and bill you.

Can confirm having had this exact problem on the same model PLC -- same scenario with no external I/O and exact same error messages including the error transitioning to run. Ended up just replacing it; I don't recall if I heard what the root cause of the failure was.

Thanks all.

Local AB rep said about July for a replacement.

Radwell want £4K for a new one or £1k to repair.

Customer went with Lektronix (owned by Rockwell), supplying a refurbished unit with 2 year warranty for £700 and also taking the dead one as PX.