RSLogix/Studio 5000 program version compatibility

marko18

Hello all,

I am working on a project on a CompactLogix L16ER-BB1B plc, and I was given a program that is on version 20.019, while my plc is on firmware version 33.012. I tried loading the program on in studio 5000, and it seems like it loaded properly and all modules are communicating, but the program isn't working. (the program is supposed to control three stepper motors via ethernet, and they all show up and are communicating when viewed in Who Active.)

When I was given the plc, it had v20 firmware, and the program worked until I tried updating the plc and the program to the latest version to make changes. Is this something that could potentially break a program/prevent it from working? And ois there a way I can flash old firmware back into the PLC from studio 5000? I just want to check that the program will work if I put the 20.019 firmware back into the PLC.

Thanks

Yes, you're going from RSlogix 5000 ver 20 to Studio 5000 ver 33. You can't flash from studio, but there should be a program called controlflash that should be able to bring it back to 20.

So did you update the program itself to 33? Then download to the PLC?

What's not working with it?

Going from version 20 to version 33 should not break the program. Taking the program itself from version 20 to version 33 is easy enough. Going from 33 to 20 will be an issue. The software doesn't give you a method to go back to an older program version. It can be done, but it can be tricky.

Your PLC firmware on the other hand can easily go to newer or older firmware. As was mentioned, ControlFlash can be used to do this. But your Studio 5000 software can also do this. When you attempt to download a version 20 program into a version 33 controller you will see a prompt that the firmware does not match and it will give you an option to load the correct firmware. I'm pretty sure it will also do this to go from a newer firmware to an older version.

I think the bigger problem is with the statement, "...but the program isn't working". What does that mean?

OG

they all show up and are communicating when viewed in Who Active.)

Who Active in RSLinx? What do they show as in the controller organizer in RSLogix?

You could probably flash the PLC back to v20 firmware using ControlFLASH (likely accessible from the Tools menu in Logix if you have it installed), but afaik you will not be able to download the program back in unless you have v20 RSLogix installed on your computer to open it with (I'm assuming you don't currently since you chose to update in order to make changes).

As Engineerj22 said, what exactly is not working?