PanelView Plus - Building a chart from arrayed data

phuz

I'm wondering if it's even possible to take data stored in an array and populate a chart rather than have it displayed as a real-time/historical trend. This is the first time I'm being asked about doing this in a PVPlus. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything, but really haven't played around with it yet. This kind of stuff is much easier when we have access to behind-the-scenes scripting.

Thanks for posting that !

In the past, I've created X-Y charts in RSView ME by faking out the X-axis and "feeding" the time series stored values over a period of time. It's an ugly workaround.

The Chart object looks like a much better option.

By coincidence, I have a customer with a PV+ v6 application who asked several years ago for the ability to store and show 20 minutes worth of trend data without having to "page back" through a deep trend log. I'm going to revisit their application to see if I can improve it with new FactoryTalk View firmware and that ActiveX.

Sorry to jump back on this. I'm getting to play with this a bit more extensively on a customer site and I am wondering if our experiences are par for the course given what we are doing. At certain points in the process, we pause to take a "measurement" which consists of about 500 data points, then the process continues. When I load the ME Chart, which pulls data from the UDT in the PLC, it takes 10-11 seconds to load the data. The HMI basically freezes during this period. If this is typical, then I'll accept it and move on, but this just doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
Sorry to jump back on this. I'm getting to play with this a bit more extensively on a customer site and I am wondering if our experiences are par for the course given what we are doing. At certain points in the process, we pause to take a "measurement" which consists of about 500 data points, then the process continues. When I load the ME Chart, which pulls data from the UDT in the PLC, it takes 10-11 seconds to load the data. The HMI basically freezes during this period. If this is typical, then I'll accept it and move on, but this just doesn't seem right.

I've also noticed a delay but my data set is smaller so its hard to get a handle on it. I'll be doing more with it next week.

I've also noticed a delay but my data set is smaller so its hard to get a handle on it. I'll be doing more with it next week.

If you find any ways to expedite it, be sure to come back and let us know. I'm trying to play with other ActiveX controls for charts, but there is no documentation on how to implement it in ME. The lack of VBA hinders us quite a bit.

Sorry to open this up again. I don't suppose anyone here could post the UDT's required to interact with this ActiveX chart object('Chart' and 'DataSeries')? Unfortunately I do not have access to TechConnect to see the example. I tried to create the UDT's based off some rockwell training documents I found but I appear to still have it incorrect. Cheers.

Sorry to open this up again. I don't suppose anyone here could post the UDT's required to interact with this ActiveX chart object('Chart' and 'DataSeries')? Unfortunately I do not have access to TechConnect to see the example. I tried to create the UDT's based off some rockwell training documents I found but I appear to still have it incorrect. Cheers.

Hope this helps.

Capture.JPG

Hope this helps.

DataSeries.JPG Chart.JPG

I did it once by hand, but it's pretty tedious. I knew the ActiveX existed but for some reason couldn't make it work.

I made a simple "chart" global object in FTVS consisting of two scales, two fat lines as axes and a bunch of lines segments, as many as I had data points to chart (in my case around 20). I had an AOI in the PLC that when triggered, calculated the starting position, length and angle of each segment within the chart, fed that in arrays which were linked to the line segments on screen by the relevant animations. Worked well, but it was a pain.