Profibus Slave Simulator

boneless

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all.

Spending a couple of weeks testing some systems in Norway. Some of the systems have drives controlled by PROFIBUS. Instead of unpacking the drives and connecting them, would it be possible to get a device that simulates these drives?

Should be doable to have something that we assign the address and download GSD to? Right?

Sometimes the drives are not provided by us, perhaps next time it is another type of device.

Just wondering if there is something out there.

Sometimes the drives are not provided by us, perhaps next time it is another type of device.

Just wondering if there is something out there.

So are you looking to see that the cabling is good? If the device is not known that you'll be connecting to, whats left is the cabling and connections that will be provided. Any profibus capable device would provide a go no-go function test. Or there are network testers available that cost many thousands of dollars.

Help us here, we could guess until the cows come home.

Last edited:
I am not sure what is unclear.

I was wondering if there is such a thing as a profibus slave simulator. As in, I can assign an profibus ID, perhaps download a GSD, and it will show up as the device I want to simulate. All of this is in my first post.

I assume the GSD would provide all the information needed for a simulator to behave as the device it is simulating.

I am not trying to test my cabling persé, but want to get rid of errors in the system, without removing program code/hardware.

Sorry, haven't seen anything like what you are describing. A GSD file would not have enough information as to how a device behaves, only the specifics of the interface. The true test for debug is the actual device itself.

Me neither, that was why I was asking :)

Wouldn't need all the functionality, just the possibility to change value of the IO.

Just wondering if it is technically possible. Guess I found my next project