Recipe Management

dmgonsior83

Okay so I've hit a wall here. I'm working in Studio 5000 using Ignition as an HMI platform. The customer needs availability to store 50 recipes, data entered in on the HMI. I've created a UDT for all necessary recipe parameters and referenced this UDT in an array of 50 elements.

Once the customer enters in the recipe data to create a new recipe, they will press "store" and the data will be transferred to the array, incrementing by one. They will then select from a dropdown list on the HMI which recipe to pull up, and then hit "load" to execute. The dropdown list would be referencing the part number from the UDT.

Question is, if they select a part number from the dropdown list, how can this be referenced back to the array to pull the necessary information? Thanks in advance.

Since you are using Ignition. I would suggest you use a Database to store the recipes and use transactions groups to retrieve and download to a "working" UDT (Not Array) in the PLC.

The dataset for the dropdown should have at least 2 columns. one for the recipe name, the other to hold a pointer to the specific element in the UDT array.

Option 2 is to use a dataset tag where the recipes are kept.

Here again we should have more information, but I offer this
I prefer to keep my recipes in the plc so that multiple HMI’s have access to all recipes
It looks like you have already done that, good.
As for managing it you are entering a part number as part of the recipe UDT
Create an array of the UDT make sure it is large enough to hold more recipes than you think you may need. Then have the operated enter the part number or select it from the array and then search for that part number
If found use the array index number to point to the recipe date you need
I would make sure the part number is DINT data type ( I can’t imagine a part number that is larger then that) string data types are much harder to search and compare.
You don’t need to move the recipe data around in the program just use the index number as a pointer to data.
Also I would include a description ( String data type ) to help the operator select the correct recipe
So when they are making the selection the display shown both the part number and the description
And be sure you provide a way for the operator to add and subtract recipes in the list.

Okay so I've hit a wall here. I'm working in Studio 5000 using Ignition as an HMI platform. The customer needs availability to store 50 recipes, data entered in on the HMI. I've created a UDT for all necessary recipe parameters and referenced this UDT in an array of 50 elements.

Once the customer enters in the recipe data to create a new recipe, they will press "store" and the data will be transferred to the array, incrementing by one. They will then select from a dropdown list on the HMI which recipe to pull up, and then hit "load" to execute. The dropdown list would be referencing the part number from the UDT.

Question is, if they select a part number from the dropdown list, how can this be referenced back to the array to pull the necessary information? Thanks in advance.

Both files are required to store the logic block for later import