Point IO ethernet adapter version question

BeepBob

Hello,

I have a ControlLogix L73 at firmware 24.11, Logix Designer at version 24

I have a 1734-AENT Point IO ethernet adapter, the box says Series C FW 6.013

My catalog selection for the 1734-AENT only includes Series A and B

Does this mean I have to upgrade either Logix Designer or the firmware on my controller?

Does it matter with Series mismatch on the ethernet adapter?

This is not a firmware issue, you simply do not have the AOP (Add On Profile) for series C installed. Simply search Rockwell's PCDC for "AOP - Add On Profiles for 1734-AENT", select the version for series C, and download/install the AOP.

To install you run the setup file inside what was downloaded.

You might be able to get away with setting it up as a series B and selecting 'Compatible Module' for keying, but I'd go for the AOP.

This is not a firmware issue, you simply do not have the AOP (Add On Profile) for series C installed. Simply search Rockwell's PCDC for "AOP - Add On Profiles for 1734-AENT", select the version for series C, and download/install the AOP.

To install you run the setup file inside what was downloaded.

You might be able to get away with setting it up as a series B and selecting 'Compatible Module' for keying, but I'd go for the AOP.

Thanx! looks like I found the answer just as you were replying. Thank you!

Your solution is the "correct" one, but for future reference, you can just leave it as series B and as long as your electronic keying is set to "compatible module" and not "exact match" it'll work quite happily.

IMO AB does backward compatibility quite well with things like this. If I want to set up communications between a 15 year old 1756-L1 processor and a brand new 5380 Compact Guard Logix which the L1 has no idea exists, I can just tell it to communicate with something vaguely similar and the newer equipment will happily pretend to be an older one to talk to the old equipment.

Your solution is the "correct" one, but for future reference, you can just leave it as series B and as long as your electronic keying is set to "compatible module" and not "exact match" it'll work quite happily.

IMO AB does backward compatibility quite well with things like this. If I want to set up communications between a 15 year old 1756-L1 processor and a brand new 5380 Compact Guard Logix which the L1 has no idea exists, I can just tell it to communicate with something vaguely similar and the newer equipment will happily pretend to be an older one to talk to the old equipment.

I agree with compatible keying making the AB system friendlier to future series/revisions. My experience with Siemens Sinamics drive modules was a lot...meaner.

Oh yes, the Germans have very little tolerance for things that are not defined in exactly ze correct manner. There are pros and cons to both approaches I suppose.

Although that said, adding an AB VSD over ethernet on an AB PLC is a lot more stringent than an I/O rack too - you do have to get things pretty much exactly right there.