AB PLC Serial to Ethernet

Thank you, we stopped the B series

Does your module work transparently ? i.e. a msg from a CLX addressed to 192.168.1.100,[DF1 Address] will connect to a PLC-5 ?

Not sure, I have never had the need, these function similar to the ENI that Rockwell use to make

I found below in the manual https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um006_-en-p.pdf

DF1 Protocol
A peer-to-peer link-layer protocol that combines features of ANSI
X3.28-1976 specification subcategories D1 (data transparency) and F1
(two-way simultaneous transmission with embedded responses)

I have recently used the Digi One IAP to connect a PLC5 to Ethernet/IP via the serial port and it worked fine.
Added it via the ethernet driver in RSlinx and it shows up fine, works the same way as the old Net-ENI

Need a device for AB DF1 serial to AB ethernet and Ethernet IP for several devices.

Was thinking of using Digi One IAP but this spec sheet seems to say it no longer supports that. Any other good options?

There is a note under the protocol table that talks about no longer having support for legacy AB protocols.

https://www.digi.com/resources/library/data-sheets/prd_ds_digioneiap

That note says:
*Legacy status: AB protocols and conversions of other protocols to/from AB protocols are no longer supported. Existing functionality may be used on an as is basis.

I think what they're saying is that they aren't going to try to support the latest Ethernet IP protocols used by CIP messaging in Logix 5K controllers, but you should still be able to use them like we always have in the past to read data tables from serial SLC and Micrologix PLCs using ethernet.

The DIGI One IAP was superior to the NET-ENI in my experience and only lacked a few features that are not all that commonly used.

I replaced several NET-ENI modules that would lock up if we tried to poll the device behind them too fast, and was even able to use the capabilities of the Digi to keep a local serial HMI and bridge the PLC to Ethernet to be polled by scada software.

It's been 8 or ten years since I used one, but if they are still making them, I'd still use them. The setup was more complex since they're not limited to A/B protocols, but once done, they performed really well.