Gearing a Virtual axis to guide a physical axis

roboharr

1756-L82ES controller, V33 lastest firmware
using a Sick brand encoder to monitor position on the shaft of a conveyor. (call this conveyor)

I have a kinetic 5500 connected to a VPL1003c-c motor. (call this gantry)

The gantry will pick a tub up off a set of rollers and needs to place it into a fixture on a continuously moving conveyor.

how do i keep the gantry following the conveyor?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

i would reference the gantry position off the conveyor.
we use virtual encoders here at work, i'm not 100% sure how to explain it.
several factors to consider
type of conveyor, roller vs. belt
product slippage - you don't want the gantry system to crash in the middle of the part. you may want to use photos to time the part first before picking it up.
length of gantry, will it have time to adjust the speed and grab the part in time.

i know that others with more experience will be of more help.
james

can not use photos since that is not what is in the standard or how the customer wants the machine to function/operate.

The conveyor is running off a PF525 with a external encoder from not rockwell, my gantry is a Kinetic5500 with a VPL servo motor. The PF525 is why my application isn't working.

So back to the drawing board.