Ethernet to RS485 ASCII

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I need an adapter for Ethernet to RS485 ASCII traffic.

I found a couple cheapos and bought them but all the docs were in Chinese and I just can't install these on anything important.

Is there a trusted brand that uses a Serial-to-Ethernet driver on a Windows Server OS (on a Virtual Machine ) to connect to the device, which then can talk to the RS485 network as if it were a local port on the Windows Server?

These things are everywhere if I'm using USB but with a VM I have no USB port to connect to so I need an ethernet connected device.

Moxa Nport range should work.
On PC side you install Moxa virtual com port driver which directs packets to TCP port and then to moxa Nport's Com port.
If you can use TCP directly, then driver isn't even needed.

Thanks folks - I'll start poking around at these. They seem to be more common than I thought. LanTronic has some too now that google has seen what I am looking for :)

I have used lantronix for years. We have hundreds of them out in the field and they just won't die (I sometimes wish they would so I would have an excuse to upgrade them)

Have a half dozen Moxa NPorts running virtual com ports over cellular VPN to a server on a VM. These poke serial data out into master radios at remote repeater sites. They have been very reliable despite the less than optimal ethernet network path.

The moxas have both RS485 and RS232 ports available.