Conditions under which a CLX processor will switch from Run to Program on its own

sanger

We recently had a situation where a ControlLogix L71 processor appeared to automatically switch from Run to Program mode. The keyswitch was in the Remote position at the time.

There was a recent Energy Storage Module Fault in the fault log but this is classified as a Minor Fault and as far as I know that would not switch the processor to Program.

Excluding switching the mode with the keyswitch or RSLogix, what conditions other than a Major Fault could cause the processor to switch to Program mode?

ESM Fault.jpg

Had the same error here about a year ago.....has anyone tampered with it..eg: tried to pull it out under power or wiggling it? We ended up finding the esm was bad only after replacing the processr too though.

It probably is the backup battery or the battery connector.
I have experienced it several times when replacing CLX batteries in Remote Run/Run mode.

I talked to a Rockwell tech support rep and it was his belief that the ONLY way a processor can switch from Run to Program mode is either via operating the Keyswitch or via the RSLogix software.

I talked to a Rockwell tech support rep and it was his belief that the ONLY way a processor can switch from Run to Program mode is either via operating the Keyswitch or via the RSLogix software.

To me this seams like it lost its memory and then returned to Prog because that was what had been saved on the SD card. Maybe it lost its memory because of the Energy Storage Unit Fault.

Hello, it's been a long time since this post, but this is the only post i found on internet about it.

I am about to believe in paranormal.

Normal day, nothing in particular, PLC was running ok, no major or minor fault, and it turned into remote program by itself, the key was in remote mode and it was not inserted (nobody could have switched)

I went into studio5000 to turn it into remore run again.

Its been 2 weeks now and i still do not find an answer.