Moving a FactoryTalk View Project

Tweeker

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a FTV project that was moved. The person moved the folder for the project and did not create an .apa file.

How can I add this project to the list of available projects to open or open it directly from the folder?

The only way to move applications from one machine to another is to either make a APA or a MER (v5 and newer). You can't just copy/paste the directory. The application manager is the only real way to do it.

You can't just copy/paste the directory.
What he said. If it's a version >5 and you have it loaded into an HMI then you should be able to upload the .mer and convert it back, but there's no clean way to move projects outside the application manager.

If you end up having to re-create the project you should be able to save yourself work by importing a bunch of stuff (images, displays, etc) from the folder you have though.

Last edited:
First, copy the project files to a new temporary location. Then in FT View go create a new application with the same exact name as the project you are copying. Then go to the projects folder where the new project has been created and copy YOUR project files into the new folder, overwriting all of the files and folders.

This is absolutely NOT the right way to do this. But it will work when someone has not done it the proper way. The proper way is to backup the application from the source machine and send that backup file to you. The backup file is a .APA file for ME. For SE, .APA or .APB I think is the new format for SE.

OG

First, copy the project files to a new temporary location. Then in FT View go create a new application with the same exact name as the project you are copying. Then go to the projects folder where the new project has been created and copy YOUR project files into the new folder, overwriting all of the files and folders.

OG

I was thinking about mentioning this, but haven't tried it myself in a while, so I couldn't remember how it would work out.