How to Secure FactoryTalk View Site Edition Application

arkansascontrols

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm pretty sure there is NOT a way to do this, but wanted to ping this group and see if anyone else has come across a solution.

I have 11 Factory Talk View SE Network Distributed applications under the collective umbrella of my FactoryTalk Network Directory Server. I have a user that needs to be able to make some edits to one of the applications, but I have security concerns about them being able to open and edit ANY of my applications that are managed by the FT Network Directory. I'm not concerned about Top Notch security solutions, just a simple password required to Open The Application in FactoryTalk View Studio would be perfect, but I don't think RA has any provision for this. Since I'm sure I'm not the only one to have ever run into this, I can't believe RA hasn't fixed this. Does anyone have a genius hack/work around/or kludge solution that can protect these apps?

You can set security levels for an individual application from the FT Admin Console. In that tool go to the application to secure, right-click and select Security. Add the specific user, select the user and then under "Common" (common actions) set "Read" to Deny access. They won't be able to see the app. Or set "Write" to Deny and they will see it, but can't edit anything.

You can even push that down to specific areas instead of the entire application.

OG

Last edited:
You can set security levels for an individual application from the FT Admin Console. In that tool go to the application to secure, right-click and select Security. Add the specific user, select the user and then under "Common" (common actions) set "Read" to Deny access. They won't be able to see the app. Or set "Write" to Deny and they will see it, but can't edit anything.

You can even push that down to specific areas instead of the entire application.

OG
@Operaghost

Thanks a million!! That's exactly what I was looking for! Worked like a champ.