high speed counters

trap442w30

need help in setting up and using high speed counters. have a simple machine that advances to a predetermined point, stops, advances to next point, stops and so on. have a quadrature encoder and an ab slc 5/03. using high speed card from spectrum(ab sister company)
thanks, this is all new to me, any help would be appreciated.

We really need more info here. AB sells two different HSC's for that rack, then there are 2 or 3 third parties that sell some form of HSC for that rack. How you use the thing depends on what it is capable of doing. Some of the HSC's are good and fast at setting and resetting real outputs based on accumulated count values. Some are good and fast at setting and resetting soft switches based on the same thing. Some are good at different gating modes of storing and resetting the accumulated value--some are too slow. None, I find, are good and fast at reporting values to the processor. There is inherent latency, up to 35mS (you can't really consider that "high speed"), involved there. We need more info.

Look at the specs for the card to see what it can do and how fast it can do it.

its the spectrum 1746sc-ctr8 eight channel 50khz counter. i'm using 3 quaduature inputs. one ab rotary and two linear. what i'm using this for is to advance a piece to a predetermined distance, advance a backstop to a predetermined distance and bend to a predetermined radius, then advance to next bend. none of the 3 would be used at the same time. and feeds are slow 1-2 inches/sec. accuracy only needs to be about 1/16", but the more accurate the better. there will be about 30 different multi bend pieces stored in the plc. these will be chosen and loaded in by means of a panelview 1000.
i don't know how to set these up in the plc, or how to use the counters.
thanks
tim

I don't have that manual so I don't know how the counter acts.

The ones I have used have front connector outputs that are very fast (5uS response time). The configuration, which is set using a SLC "M" file, allows you to attach these outputs to any channel you want and turn them on and/or off at specific channel counts.

Also on the front connector are "gate" or "reset" connections that reset or preset any given channel. Some counters allow reset thru the backplane, but this is not usually timely. Some allow configuration of "soft" outputs that act like the hardwired ones, only thru the backplane, but these are slow, too.

Sounds like this is what you need. Reset the counter, configure hard output to trigger at the distance count of the first move. Monitor output in ladder (wire the counter output to a discreet PLC input) and stop the move when the travel has meen satisfied. Reset counter again, configure the same, or different, output to trigger at the distance of the second move, bend, or whatever. Do this until the sequence is complete.

The the count values that preset the output triggers will be the different job variables, as well as the number of moves, bends.

Again, I haven't used your particular counter before, and don't have a manual, so I'm not sure what I describe is compatable.

Read your darned manuals, and good luck

I got on the web and looked at the manual for your counter. It looks like to me that the thing was designed to measure and report rate, rather than be a presettable counter. But it still may work in your application.

Read the manual and try to figure out the function of the counter limit variable. I think it will set a bit when reached, and it may be changed on the fly. You could use this value as your travel preset.

There are no hard outputs as I read the manual, but the update time to the processor image table is 3 or 4 mS. That should be quick enough for 1/16". Also, it looks like you don't need the "M" files, just the i/o table, to configure and read from the thing. That makes things quicker, too, and easier.

good luck, have some fun!! :D

Last edited: