Online edit bug

lanman

I had a problem starting early this summer that whenever I tried to do an online edit with on a machine we built rslogix would crash and I would loose processor ownership. To recover I had to power cycle the plc (slc 505). I tried with the 3 different laptops we have at work and had the same result. After the machine was shipped, the maintenance guys were able to do online edits, but I still couldn't. Anyhow, I just put up with it. Couldn't get any answers from AB tech support.
Just started building another machine, and it too has a 505 processor. After doing the initial programming, I downloaded then tried to do an online edit...same thing, rslogix crashed. At that point I was determined to find the reason. After spending half a day experimenting, I finally found the reason and just thought I would share what I found.
The problem is a bug with rsemulate 500. I began using it regularly for most of my AB programming this summer. Even though the debug file does not get downloaded to the plc, if the file contains at least 1 rung title, online edits will crash! I've replicated the problem many times just to be sure.
I would appreciate it if someone else could replicate it as well, just to confirm this is a bug. You don't even need rsemulate to test. Heres how:

Add a new ladder file to any program. Under properties, check off the "debug" checkbox. Do not put a JSR to this ladder. Put any logic you want into the debug file. Download and try an online edit, it should work just fine. Now go offline, add a rung title to any rung in the debug file, and download again. An online edit will probably crash.

BTW, the reason the maintenance people were able to do online edits was because they uploaded first, in which case they did not have the debug file.

The problem happens with both XP and win2000, and with all versions of rslogix/linx I have tried. All comms were done via ethernet.

Can't get the processor ownership and go online

Hello, I jus received a PLC SLC 5/03, yesterday I tried to connect the plc and I could, however when triying to download a blank program it showed a message that said "download failed can't get the processor ownership" after that I could not get on line with the processor because there is another problem that says "fault code 001h a program integrity problem during online edition" and that is all in the CPU only apears the DH485 LED blinking, in the RS linx I can see the PLC connected.