TIA portal - add PC or unknown

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi!

I use TIA portal and have two CPU.
I have two WinCC Flexible Runtime.

Just to have control over my project I want to insert some "dummy" box in the network view to represent the two runtimes and computer.

Is there a way? I can't insert RT and PC in TIA portal since I only got basic license in TIA.

Any suggestions?

/Tim

Where do I find this?
You don't meen s7-1200 unspecific? Cause that I have already tried, and can't connect or assign IP number to it.

I forgot to say that, I wan't it so that I can have control over the IP adresses when the project grows larger.

If all you want to do is reserve the IP address that should be easy enough. You can't assign an IP address to an "Unspecified 1200", but if you just create one (any 1200 model, it doesn't matter), you can place it on the network and assign the IP address to it. Name it something like "Placeholder PLC" or "IP Placeholder", and then just don't program anything in it, or try to connect to it.

That way nothing else will use the address later on in Portal, as long as everything is assigned to the same network.

no, no, unspecified is for unknown PLC upload. i don't know out of my head at the moment and i left my laptop at work, but there should be something where you can insert as a station (not RT) and add IE general module that have its IP, even with basic as i recollect.

If all you want to do is reserve the IP address that should be easy enough. You can't assign an IP address to an "Unspecified 1200", but if you just create one (any 1200 model, it doesn't matter), you can place it on the network and assign the IP address to it. Name it something like "Placeholder PLC" or "IP Placeholder", and then just don't program anything in it, or try to connect to it.

That way nothing else will use the address later on in Portal, as long as everything is assigned to the same network.

A good suggestion, but then I will have many CPUs in my project tree, maybe not a big problem but in the future when I maybe have 10 it will take up some space. But if there's nothing else I'll take it.

no, no, unspecified is for unknown PLC upload. i don't know out of my head at the moment and i left my laptop at work, but there should be something where you can insert as a station (not RT) and add IE general module that have its IP, even with basic as i recollect.

Ah, I will look harder in the hardware catalog again

A good suggestion, but then I will have many CPUs in my project tree, maybe not a big problem but in the future when I maybe have 10 it will take up some space. But if there's nothing else I'll take it.

Ah, I will look harder in the hardware catalog again

If you only have Step 7 Basic, I don't think it will let you do a PC station at all, to add the IE general like balash suggests.

However, something else you might be able to do is insert a profinet IO device, put it on the network, give it an IP address, and then just not assign it to a PN controller. The ET200eco PN is a simple block IO device that would be easy to add and not require any config besides the network. You could use any DI/DO/whatever module. It shouldn't matter, you won't actually be using it in your project.

If you only have Step 7 Basic, I don't think it will let you do a PC station at all, to add the IE general like balash suggests.

However, something else you might be able to do is insert a profinet IO device, put it on the network, give it an IP address, and then just not assign it to a PN controller. The ET200eco PN is a simple block IO device that would be easy to add and not require any config besides the network. You could use any DI/DO/whatever module. It shouldn't matter, you won't actually be using it in your project.

That's a good idea, why dind't I think of that in the first place? To busy looking for something more "dummy" like I guess. That will work fine if I can't find balash IE general.

Thanks!