FactoryTalk Activation (License) Problem

Dlareg

Hi All,

We have a new laptop and we have successfully activated the Rockwell Software through FactoryTalk Activation. All the licenses are saved in our laptop's local drive and as configured in the FactoryTalk Activation Manager (not in any server).

Everything works fine except only when we change the laptop's IP address from dynamic to static. Upon doing this, all the active licenses in the FactoryTalk Activation manager will not show up even if we press the refresh button. It will only show up if we put back the IP address to dynamic. Quite weird because the licenses are saved in the local harddisk not in any network server.

I tried to search the knowledgebase and sent inquiry to the techconnect but can't find any answer for this. Have anyone encountered this problem? Any possible solutions?

I believe your license is tied to the NIC, network interface card. For some reason the IP change isn't liked. The license ties to either the NIC or hard drive number unless it is on a USB dongle.
We had a couple of laptops tied to the NIC, wireless, and when it goes off or standby it acts like no license. Keep it active and no problem.
I'd see about getting it moved to the hard drive number. Yea you got to ask Rockwell.
We are using the USB dongle for RSView and some RSLinx OEM for HMIs. That way it can be moved between PCs.
Look for a file with the extension of lic I think. It should be on your hard drive. We backup that file for future reference. It is a text file so look at it for some information.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply and information. But all the licenses are tied up or hosted with the local harddrive serial number, not with the NIC.

I will probably call Rockwell Techsupport again tomorrow.

Last edited:
As I understand it, the server and client parts of the FactoryTalk Activation Manager communicate with one another using TCP Port 27000.

They do so even though they are on the same PC and appear to be part of the same program.

So there can be some weird behavior when certain IP networking conditions exist.

RA Technical Support should be able to help you sort it out.

As I understand it, the server and client parts of the FactoryTalk Activation Manager communicate with one another using TCP Port 27000.

They do so even though they are on the same PC and appear to be part of the same program.

So there can be some weird behavior when certain IP networking conditions exist.

RA Technical Support should be able to help you sort it out.

Oh goody. Maybe that explains why we get issues when we use the RSLinx OEM USB dongle and need to use a specific physical USB port. Move it to another of the 7 ports and it don't like it. We setup the PC and label the port "green key". The iFix don't care where it goes.
I wonder if it has something to do with the abillity to host from a network server. Sorry, not every ones does that. We have a lot of stand alone stuff.

If you configured FactoryTalk to look for your licenses using an IP other than 127.0.0.1 or ::1 , Then when the IP changes it will stop working. You should be able to just repoint the client to the local machine instead(or force it to 127.0.0.1). If that doesn't work, Make sure your Windows Firewall(or other FW) isn't blocking local connections.

Probably because Windows does weird things w/ USB ports. Each port has its own identifier and Rockwell probably bound that up in the activation.

iFix uses HASP HL which doesn't care about the port ID, it scans all the ports and just loads whatever keys it finds.

Oh goody. Maybe that explains why we get issues when we use the RSLinx OEM USB dongle and need to use a specific physical USB port. Move it to another of the 7 ports and it don't like it. We setup the PC and label the port "green key". The iFix don't care where it goes.
I wonder if it has something to do with the abillity to host from a network server. Sorry, not every ones does that. We have a lot of stand alone stuff.