Can't upload from running CompactLogix (L23) because of error

phuz

I am trying to upload a customer's L23 program to make some changes, but continually get this error when it gets to the "Uploading Modules" section of the upload:

Error: Slot out of range for current chassis size.
Error: Failed to upload modules.

I tried this over serial and ethernet with the same error. The original programmer/integrator is telling the customer they will only hand over the program for a very large sum of money.

We don't have original program to compare with. We are only trying to do a simple upload (creating a new file). If they had the original program, they wouldn't be in this predicament. Processor is 1769-L23-QB1B

I'm sorry to hear that you're in the middle of somebody else's disagreement: you'll find plenty of threads here about the importance of getting the ownership of the automation code in writing before the machine is built.

Be sure to start with all RSLogix 5000 programs closed before performing an upload. If you're trying to use a current program (even a default one) and perform an "use file and upload changes" the chassis configuration online and offline could conflict.

This isn't an OEM Lock or Routine Source Protection issue, but rather something more mundane.

Yes, being in the middle is frustrating but it isn't the first time and won't be the last.

I will try to be very clear.
I have absolutely no original program or anything to start from. We are going online and creating a file from scratch and still receive these errors.

We have a ticket open through RA, as well, but nothing yet.

No this is definitely not an OEM lock or protection issue. It looks like the config is wrong (somewhere) and Logix just wants to blow up at it.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I think the 1769-L23E-QB1B (couldn't find one with just 'L23') is a newer model. Could it be an RSLogix5000 program version incompatibility. It can take more add-on modules than previous versions.

Its running version 19 and I have version 20 installed. I've worked with several version 19 CompactLogix processors already and haven't had an issue. Aside from the embedded I/O, there are two inputs cards and an output card. There is also some flex I/O, but nothing is special and no special add-ons.

I might be able to convince the customer to allow a picture, but I don't really see the point. Our status lights are normal and communication is fine. Total ethernet usage is 50% per task monitor utility. Scan time is < 5ms.

Watch very closely (use a screencapture program if you can) during upload to determine exactly which Module definition that RSLogix 5000 is uploading when it throws that error.

It might be the 1769 bus, and it might be the 1794 bus. The difference may lead us to a solution.

It just says uploading modules and is not specific at any point during the upload.

Uploading project from controller 'XXX' into file XXX...
Preparing the Database...
Uploading all Data Types...
Uploading all Controller Tags...
Uploading Device, Extended Device, and Memory Objects...
Uploading all Add-On Instructions...
Uploading add-on instruction 'SCP'
Uploading all 'SCP' Parameters and Local Tags...
Uploading all 'SCP' Routines...
Uploading routine 'Logic'
Uploading all Programs...
Uploading program 'MainProgram'
Uploading all 'MainProgram' Tags...
Uploading all 'MainProgram' Routines...
Uploading routine 'Alarms'
Uploading routine 'MainRoutine'
Uploading routine 'Depanner_Tracking'
Uploading routine 'Drives_16_25'
Uploading routine 'Transfers'
Uploading routine 'Oven_Unloader'
Uploading routine 'Drives'
Uploading routine 'Conveyors'
Uploading routine 'Communications'
Uploading all Modules...
Error: Slot out of range for current chassis size.
Error: Failed to upload modules.
Complete - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Last edited:
Darn it !

Any chance you could do an upload while running Wireshark ?

My wild guess is that RSLogix 5000 is creating the container for the 1769 bus or the 1794 bus and incorrectly setting the Rack size to 0 or 1, then chokes when it tries to insert a subsequent Module connection.

But that's a wild guess. Certainly it's not supposed to do this.

Again, to reiterate: the File name is totally new, right ? You're not trying to perform an upload and correlate.

I can run wireshark while doing that, but I don't see a place on this forum for uploads, nor do I have a public FTP that I use.

I can run wireshark while doing that, but I don't see a place on this forum for uploads, nor do I have a public FTP that I use.

If you are quick replying, hit he advanced button and you will see the attach paper clip. Or I have found it easier to get Dropbox, that way you can share larger files if you need to.

I think AJZ and Bernie are on the right track.

In general the CompactLogix L23's trade an Expansion module for the embedded Analog/HSC module. The Selection Guide says:

1769-L23-QBFC1B supports 2 Expansion modules
1769-L23E-QB1B supports 3 Expansion modules
1769-L23E-QBFC1B supports 2 Expansion modules

My copy of RSLogix 5000 v19.01 agrees with the Selection Guide, allowing the 1769-L23E-QB1B to have 5 total slots of 1769 I/O: two Embedded, and three Expansion.

The CompactBus configuration dialog box has a "Maximum I/O Count" drop-down that goes up to 5.

I wonder if somehow the OEM got the program loaded with this value wrong, and now RSLogix 5000 is choking on it while attempting to create an I/O tree, or if RSLogix 5000 is not properly detecting the controller and looking up how many modules it's supposed to support (which I think is more likely).