Rs-232 DB9 to DB25 cable pinouts

Engineer_UA

Hello everyone,
How important is it to obtain cable pinouts from a vendor whem connecting a device with DB9 connector to a device with DB25 connector? Trying to avoid comms issues, and making sure we are specifying appropriate cable for the application( null modem cable vs. Straight-thru).
Thanks,
EE

some companies use the standard pinout, while others use a specific pinout.
i would try to get the pinout from the company or buy their cable.
it all depends on the price of the devices you are connecting. $25 i would try the standard pinout if i could not get the answer from the vendor. $2500, i would buy their cable. also, if you use a standard pinout and it is incorrect and lets out the magic smoke, how long will it take to replace the device(s). remember, you are on the hook for it while it is under warranty. if you use the wrong cable, you void the warranty.
james

>How important is it to obtain cable pinouts from a vendor whem connecting a device with DB9 connector to a device with DB25 connector?

Answer: Very important for the reasons cited above.

We make about 5 different ones and I have the pinout for about 10 more... just depends on what they are doing

This is one and will work on several others https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-programming-cable-1784-cp10-plc-5-serial/

I_Automation said:
Plus, if you are using Mitsubishi PLC's, the DB25 is not RS-232.

In the DB-25 end of their SC-09 cable is hidden a protocol converter to RS-422.

They also have a backdoor for lack of better words and a RS232 will work

I sell a ton of these and there is no converter most are resellers https://www.plccable.com/mitsubishi-plc-cable-sc09-melsec-full-version-fx-or-a/

I do sell these that do have the 422 built in the DB25 https://www.plccable.com/mitsubishi-plc-cable-sc09-melsec-full-fx-or-a-plcs-with-422-adapter/

Both of them will work on most FX or A

Another DB-25 anomaly was Omron, at least the older ones.

You couldn't connect any cable to that port, you had to screw a HostLink adapter to the front of the PLC that used the DB-25, then (it's been years but I think I remember) a standard serial cable would not work either, had to buy a $pecial cable.

Simply put there is not a “standard” RS-232 cable pin out. Always try to get the correct pinkut from the manufacturer or buy their cable.

I think a lot of us would be in dire straits if you weren't around GIT.

Not sure about that, there was a hole in the market and I just tried to fill it....

I must have at least 6 of your adapters I have had customers buy for projects, otherwise they might not have got done.

And for that I thank you very much :nodi: