Rgb led

PLC_buoy

I'm a manufacturer of a therapy bath - and we currently have bespoke electronics - I'm trying to see if I can replicate the bath functionality with PLC

One of the components on the therapy bath is RGB LED underwater light.

Currently the light functionality is on / off with a default blue colour, with an additional option to scroll through all RGB colours. This is controlled by an emulated DMX colour controller via software on our bespoke circuit board.

So I'm wondering if there's and LED RGB driver that can be controlled via PLC

Thank you

I was assuming the intent is to use DMX to control the lights. If the lights are controlled via discrete or analog outputs, then I suspect that a PLC can handle that.

What is the motivation for using a PLC, as opposed to a bespoke electronics, or even an SBC or other solution?
_

Thank you - motivation is it's becoming expensive to manufacture bespoke electronics - with parts becoming scarcer by the day. Just paid $80 for a chip that cost $5 only 6 months ago.

I hadn't considered SBC as solution - so I might look in to that route too.

Thank you - motivation is it's becoming expensive to manufacture bespoke electronics - with parts becoming scarcer by the day. Just paid $80 for a chip that cost $5 only 6 months ago.

I hadn't considered SBC as solution - so I might look in to that route too.

Unfortunately, PLC parts are also becoming quite hard to get, usually months if not over a year in lead times.

Have you looked at PC software?

I cannot remember the name, but I have used some software (and there is a lot out there)
Buy a USB to DMX adapter and you can control lights very easily.

I bought a USB DMX adapter on Amazon for $7.00 that the DMX software was a free download.

Also got MIDI software free to synch the lights to music, and a USB MIDI interface for $10.00

What is the budget for the UI/controller/DMX-interface pipeline (assuming I understand what you are looking for)?

Summat like this?

Aquatica-pamela-white-relax-freestanding-acrylic-bathtub-web-03.jpg

I'll bet you could drive the RGB LED with 3 analog outputs unless the DMX interface was built in to it.

Somebody posted here before on a similar thread that strip LED's are not voltage controlled, but rather PWM and that a PLC with high speed PWM outputs may control them if enough power is output.

Not sure what PLC has 3 PWM outputs, even through add-on cards.

I've seen too many people suggest them where they are inappropriate (like as a PLC replacement), but this is the first time that I feel like a prototyping board like a teensy or an Arduino might make sense. Cheap, readily available (compared to other electronics), relatively robust, native PWM support. I assume the equipment gets powered down regularly? I wouldn't trust an Arduino to run for more than 50 days (maximum value the internal timer can handle before rollover), but I would wager therapeutic baths are powered down more frequently than this.

But on THIS post he didn't say it was a strip light, or PWM driven, or even an addressable style, He said it was 3 color LED and was currently DMX interfaced which could mean the LED itself could be anything so I assumed it was a discrete 3 color LED.

I've seen too many people suggest them where they are inappropriate (like as a PLC replacement), but this is the first time that I feel like a prototyping board like a teensy or an Arduino might make sense. Cheap, readily available (compared to other electronics), relatively robust, native PWM support. I assume the equipment gets powered down regularly? I wouldn't trust an Arduino to run for more than 50 days (maximum value the internal timer can handle before rollover), but I would wager therapeutic baths are powered down more frequently than this.

I agree, but instead of using a hobby board one could order the ATmega328P that is used on the uno and integrate it directly. I think it would be the most OEM way to do it.