Ethernet/IP Distributed In Cabinet IO Options

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello to Everyone!

I am looking for Ethernet/IP Distributed In-Cabinet IO Block options to talk to Compact Logix PLC (L36ER).

I only need 3 DO's and 5 DI's (24vdc). However, it wouldn't be terrible to allow for some spares, say 5 DO's and 7 DI's would be good, but not 100% required.

I am looking at Point IO (1734), but was also considering a Micro 820 PLC instead of IO and just send ethernet msg from L36ER to Micro820 and set up a communication loss alarm.

IO speed is not a concern, 1-2 second turn around would be plenty fast.

The IO is Pilot Lights and Push Buttons to control one output which would drive a Solenoid Valve.

Any and all recommendations, feedback, criticism welcome.

Also considering 3rd party Distributed IO.

The Click, as mentioned is a good option.

We use the Turck FEN20-16DXP for a lot of interlock applications on our equipment. It has configurable inputs or outputs grouped in 8, 6, and 2. The blocks accept Ethernet or Profinet so they are great because it doesn't matter if our customer is using Rockwell or Siemens.

They also run with stand-alone logic if that is your flavor. It's all programmed through a web interface with drop-downs. I've only used the stand-alone programming once, but it is pretty slick.

I've seen them range in price widely from $250-500. Not sure where they are now or what the availability is - we keep about 20 of them on hand and haven't needed to order them since the prices started increasing.

"A crocodile will never fly, no matter how low or how slow."

-Robert D. Law, P.E., Rockwell Automation Commercial Engineering

1. The CompactLogix is in the cabinet, with its 1769 I/O expansion bus.

2. POINT I/O, FLEX I/O, and Compact I/O are all tightly integrated into the Logix 5000 environment.

3. Third-party I/O devices from Turck, Murr, Wago, Automation Direct, and a dozen others are widely available, which function as I/O devices using the I/O subsystem and I/O protocols with I/O performance.

4. "But this device is a few dollars cheaper and only requires a simple program done in another platform, using a protocol and mechanism intended for a different application" is not, in my opinion, a good enough reason to ignore the first three factors.

5. If you have no access to appropriate devices and are repairing or commissioning a system in a hurry, then go ahead.

Ken is 100% correct. It is a PITA to have 2nd processor's program to keep up with. Also, troubleshooting communication issues, ESPECIALLY if you aren't the one that originally installed it, and also be a pain.

Fen20-16dxp by turck is great, i used to use them all the time until about 6 months ago when i couldn't buy anymore. Since then i've had to use whatever is available for purchase.

The click is a great option based on the discripton.
That said, I think it looks odd to have 2 PLCs in a cabinet.

Also, I'm not a reptile aviation expert, but I switched to all 3rd party IO a few years ago. The are lots of great options available on that side, and it allows me to change the controller brand without changing the io.

"A crocodile will never fly, no matter how low or how slow."

-Robert D. Law, P.E., Rockwell Automation Commercial Engineering

1. The CompactLogix is in the cabinet, with its 1769 I/O expansion bus.

2. POINT I/O, FLEX I/O, and Compact I/O are all tightly integrated into the Logix 5000 environment.

3. Third-party I/O devices from Turck, Murr, Wago, Automation Direct, and a dozen others are widely available, which function as I/O devices using the I/O subsystem and I/O protocols with I/O performance.

4. "But this device is a few dollars cheaper and only requires a simple program done in another platform, using a protocol and mechanism intended for a different application" is not, in my opinion, a good enough reason to ignore the first three factors.

5. If you have no access to appropriate devices and are repairing or commissioning a system in a hurry, then go ahead.

I have decided to go with Turck, but now (like everything else on this planet) supply chain!!

Thanks to everyone who replied to me on this question.

There is probably 100s that you could use. My issue with using 3rd party IO is tracking down the EDS, AOP, blah blah files to see the IO in the IO config tree. So you wont be able to view online if you don't have these files installed onto your rockwell studio environment.

Sometimes that can be a herculean task if the prints don't have the correct part numbers. If the device does not have that rslinx feature where you can upload from device the eds file, then your stuck trying to find it. Its usually some time other than normal working hours that your looking at this and support is not there for 3rd party IO.

Just find it aggravating to integrate 3rd party IO.